Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Can tell most idiots did not read the post.

Over 100 years ago the first Iron Lungs were made with plywood and bellows. The classic Iron Lung made right here in the US of A in 1928 saved a 8 year old girls life. It used 2 vacuum cleaner pumps!

We use positive pressure now, but the principal is the same 15 psi about 20 times a min.

Beds? No prob, National Guard has thousands and nice tents, portable buildings etc. We will likely run out of ventilators and have to make some shitty triage decisions.

No red tape. If I needed it, I don't give 2 shits if it was a FDA approved $250k version or a $99 version that the HS STEM group made.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the most realistic approach to this would be a "Chest shell", basically a smaller version of an iron lung. Some formed sheet metal for the breastplate, foam rubber and innertube for the seal and a shop vac or other vacuum source.
It's simple and has been done successfully: https://www.frca.co.uk/images/cuirass.jpg

Traditional ventilator could be problematic due to intubation.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
This morning I was putting together the wipers on a truck i didn't take apart, admittedly I haven't messed with wiper linkages much, so i was kinda taken by the design, motor goes in single direction, but turns a shaft 90deg ave reverses 90 deg.
Wouldn't be hard at all to dump a 12v battery, wiper motor, delay switch, linkages and hook to a bvm between 2 pieces of wood with a hinge

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I spent 12 days in ICU a few weeks ago after cancer surgery..The second day I was making a good recovery when suddenly I could not breathe.. I went into full panic mode...I was on a respirator for 3 days, rigid tube down the throat...It was a fairly compact quiet machine thet fed in pressurized O2/ air mix..Some fancy looking computer adjustable controls..
Oh, and if you give a shit,the doctors claim I'm cured....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
796 Posts
I spent 12 days in ICU a few weeks ago after cancer surgery..The second day I was making a good recovery when suddenly I could not breathe.. I went into full panic mode...I was on a respirator for 3 days, rigid tube down the throat...It was a fairly compact quiet machine thet fed in pressurized O2/ air mix..Some fancy looking computer adjustable controls..
Oh, and if you give a shit,the doctors claim I'm cured....<a href="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0" alt="" title="flipoff2" >:)</a>
I give a shit.

<hug>

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Why not just reload the used ventilators? Seriously though, I have to use up thousands of ventilators in different calibers before I have to get the reloader off the shelf.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just a thought. I dont really know when a ventilator is needed but wouldnt a bipap (or cpap) machine work? I mean its basically breathing for you right? I guess maybe its only helping whereas a ventilator is doing the heavy lifting.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Iron lungs are still out there, I know of one still being used.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
So the death pool prediction was a figment of your imagination ??

Welcome back :flipoff2:
No...a cure can go bad...and thanks. :D

There's a big difference between what an Iron Lung was used for and modern tracheal intubation that's used to treat lung issues...

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Agree, and I've been saying for a while now that hospitals are not going to be able to handle the number of pneunomia cases this thing is going to generate. I'm not worried for me or my wife, but my Mom is 90 and in the high risk group because of that. Shit, the retirement community where she lives has over 50,000 residents all over 55. She is healthy, exercises and has never smoked, so God willing even if she does get it, she'll recover.
I take care of my 87 year old parents... Mother has advanced COPD, dad is a ticking time bomb with diabetes. I am 67 and thankfully in good health. If my mother was to placed on a ventilator, she would probably die on it.

One big problem I see; we don't have enough peeps to support a surge of patients on vents.

Doctor: Intubate and monitor patient
Nurse: Monitor and take car of patient
Phlebotomist and lab.
Respiratory therapist....

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
I take care of my 87 year old parents... Mother has advanced COPD, dad is a ticking time bomb with diabetes. I am 67 and thankfully in good health. If my mother was to placed on a ventilator, she would probably die on it.

One big problem I see; we don't have enough peeps to support a surge of patients on vents.

Doctor: Intubate and monitor patient
Nurse: Monitor and take car of patient
Phlebotomist and lab.
Respiratory therapist....
This is why they are discouraging large gatherings and it's a real concern. Yes the same number or close to it will still get infected, but spreading the outbreak over time will allow the in place manpower to handle it...maybe. My wife is in medical and already came down with pneumonia. Couldn't point to an actual interaction with a diagnosed case, so not eligible to be tested for beer virus. We have played the system to keep her out of the hospital for recovery. The hard part will be keeping her home until she's strong enough to endure the long hours they are likely to demand of her coming up.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts