Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wheel came off while driving and when the studs broke off it warbled sp? the lug holes out. Is there anyway to fix this? Can I just make some sleeves that slide over the studs so that the hole size matches what is holding it on? This vehicle will be driven on the road from time to time and at highway speeds. I really don't want to have one new rim and 3 marked up need to be polished ones. :(

These are on an FJ40 with 36 sx's. I don't plan on running anything bigger on them.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
that sounds like a scetchy way of doing it. i'd look in the yellow pages. plenty of places out there that advertise aluminum wheel repairs, although they normally fix bent beads.
i would not do the sleeve-it-fix and drive it on the freeway; you're gonna ragdoll! :(

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Last I looked at my 'J80 alloys that are gathering dust in the barn, I seem to have noticed that those are actually press sleeved at the stud holes, so I guess it might work. It would need some quality machining though...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I would have the sleeves pressed in by a shop. Why would it not be safe? :confused: I figured that most people do not have the appropriate lug nuts for their rims so they do not seat exactly perfect, so my having it sleeved would be a tighter fit than what they have?

My idea was to take it where they repair rims and have them make aluminum sleeves that would make the holes the correct size and could be welded as part of the rim. Does that make sense? They would basically be part of the rim. I'm not going to do something unsafe. :flipoff2: Being chased by my tire once was more than enough. :eek:

No one has ever had to face the same issue as this? My rims are definitely not new and having one new one would look :rainbow: and besides, they are expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts