Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing to redo my t-case mounts. First off I have a 98 grand cherokee. I have a 203-205 doubler in it with ORD's kit.

To mount it I used the existing round trans mount that came stock in the jeep. I flipped it around and cut it up to clear the 203. For the 205 I simply put two bushings under the ORD adapter plate and ran two bolts vertically through them and into the ORD adapter and let the whole thing sit on my existing skid plate. The issues I have is the bushings under the doubler are being crushed, when I check the bolts they keep dropping down out of the skid plate, they are not coming loose. So I am worried about binding and breaking the back off the trans.

So should I got to a stiffer bushing or scrap this setup all together, I am worried about breaking off the back of my trans with all that weight. It seems like I have not provided and bushing mount for the 205, it is basically hard mounted to the skid with a bushing in between, which I think is the wrong way to do it.
Thanks for any help
Mike

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
This is a newbie question......

But you really need a second cross member to support the added weight, as well as bushings that are horizontal to better control it.

What you are running now weighs 3x the stock tcase

·
Read Only
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a newbie question......

But you really need a second cross member to support the added weight, as well as bushings that are horizontal to better control it.

What you are running now weighs 3x the stock tcase

I am sorry, I did not feel it was a newbie question at all, I was asking how to mount two cases in my jeep in a way to control torque and weight without breaking my trans off. I did indicate I had two seperate mounts holding the weight of my cases, that was not my question. I definitely know the weight, I pressed both cases up in there!!

My mounts are spread out horizontall (as in side to side) to control torque. I was asking if anyone knew if just setting the adapter on bushings and bolting into the plate was a bad idea. That mount shown for a 205 would be great if I had the room. I doubt there is anyone with a GC with my case combo in it, so I cant just ask for someone to post pics...

I am looking at the board at pics and wondering if I built a channel to bolt to the adapter and then on either side of the case tie in bushings between the top and bottom of this channeled piece to control the weight and torque. This may work again if it will fit.

·
Read Only
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Somethng like this to hold the weight and control the torque:

I am looking at your mount, and I may actually be able to fit this now that I looked under my junk again, is the passenger side mount bolted into that 6 bolt cover thingy on the case? And then just use a builder bushing from RE or something? That may actually work. Thanks for the idea.

·
Read Only
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unless you have a stiff chassis using the T-case to control torque isn't the way to go.

Once the chassis loads up (think crossed up) the motor wants to twist one way and the t-case the opposite.
hopefully you have a strong trans housing or a *Stiff* chassis.

I think youre right, how it is mounted is not the way to do it, I am going to go another route. And I dont think I have ever used unibody and stiff in the same sentence!! Thanks for the help guys. Ill post pics of what I come up with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.