Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this site, and also DMV to see if there was any information on if i can get a ticket (specifically for expedition of speed) for driving on the street with a spool.
Yes i know, i shouldnt be asking this, yes this is my wheeling rig which gets driven VERY little, but on weekends like this next one, my daily driver will be in pomona, and i will be in the bay are, thus It is my only vehicle, and I have to drive places, like san jose, where there are a good number of cops, and my x-terrains bark like mad.

Anyone know? Any experience?

Thanks

Garrett

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I seriously doubt it, unless you were asking for trouble to begin with. I never got stopped for mine, and there were plenty of reasons (violations) to stop me for.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,772 Posts
YES! excessive display of speed!. been there done that doing 10mph around a corner barking. cop was a dick and pulled me. :mad:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wouldn't suspect there is some form of specific ticket for having a locker or spool... Only a ticket for reckless driving, or excessive speed, for chirping the tires around a corner...
Pete

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
vehicle code states that no vehicle can be equipped with a
"live axle" (this means both sides locked together all the time.

so, yeah, a spool is not legal. as for being stopped because of
it, I highly doubt it. unless they were looking for some reason to
pull you over, and you barked the tires around a corner.

just use your head when driving it.

--Sherpa

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
if your worried about it put some extra air in your tires. i doubt that a toyota with big tires is really going to impresion someone with its great power reserves. i know i have one! and its spooled.:D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Here is the CA Vehicle Code Where is it written that a Live axle is not allowed? and then where is the term live axle defined ?

Here is Title 49, Chapter 301 Motor vehicle safety
I do not find it covered here either.

I may have missed it in one or both regulations.. But could you point me to exactly what section you’re referring to.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
I seriously doubt that a spool would be illegal. (though CA never fails to amaze me with their laws).

If a cop ticketed you for exhibition of speed, you have a pretty valid case in court that your vehicle will chirp its tires no matter how slow you go. And even if their is a law against spools, I doubt a judge will be familiar with it.

Keep in mind, once you get into the courtroom, it's up to the state to prove that you were guilty of breaking the law. If you can't, you're innocent.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
sully you have been watching to much tv. when you go to traffic court you are guilty unless you can prove you are innocent. the judge will take the cops words as gold. and really doubt you, i have been 20 plus times and watched 100's of people in traffic court, the cops word is gold. mike

·
Registered
60,140 Posts
gunracer1 said:
sully you have been watching to much tv. when you go to traffic court you are guilty unless you can prove you are innocent. the judge will take the cops words as gold. and really doubt you, i have been 20 plus times and watched 100's of people in traffic court, the cops word is gold. mike
Aint that the truth :rolleyes: You don't even have to be in the wrong.... even if the law is on your side and your are not guilty of the ticket... It doesn't necessarily matter. All depends on the judge.

I dunno about CA, but in WA you can get ticketed for it. I don't remember what the specific infraction was anymore, but someone on this board knows. ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
gunracer1 said:
Guess it depends on how you look at it. If the cop says you did it, then that is what they are using to prove you guilty, and you have to provide a better defense. You are innocent until the cops word is taken that you are guilty.

I am curious about the legality of this as well, since I am about to put a welded diff in my daily driver. I am a slower driver, and planned to slow down around the corners a lot more with this diff in.

Just slow down a lot more, stay off the throttle. If you are on the throttle (acceleration is audible), and you chirp the tires, how could it not be perceived as being an exhibition of speed?

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
gunracer1 said:
Nah, actually I hardly ever watch TV. Only reason I have the thing is as a monitor for the DVD player.

I was in court this week for an unsafe vehicle ticket though. Walked out ticket free because the cop couldn't prove my scout was unsafe.

Not my first experience with it either... Guess I just have had good luck in the courtroom.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Travis Waldher said:
I dunno about CA, but in WA you can get ticketed for it. I don't remember what the specific infraction was anymore, but someone on this board knows. ;)

deffective equiptment is what the ticket was for, he stopped me for an unsafe start.

sitting in teh left turn lane at a light, made the left barking a 38in SX all the way around, got pulled over for the unsafe start, tried to explain that it was a spooled rear diff, meaning it's 100% locked from tire to tire, so in his infinate auto wisdom he decided that my rear diff was broken, and that is why it was locked up...

·
5,599 Posts
r-sparky-h said:
if your worried about it put some extra air in your tires. i doubt that a toyota with big tires is really going to impresion someone with its great power reserves. i know i have one! and its spooled.:D
That helps alot!

i used to run 25 PSI around town but now with the welded spool I run like 35-45PSI on my light cherokee, It hop sless and makes less noise. Tire ware is not so great, but the increased turnability is worth the trade off on my daily driver....

·
Registered
381 Posts
SHERPA said:
vehicle code states that no vehicle can be equipped with a
"live axle" (this means both sides locked together all the time.

so, yeah, a spool is not legal. as for being stopped because of
it, I highly doubt it. unless they were looking for some reason to
pull you over, and you barked the tires around a corner.

just use your head when driving it.

--Sherpa

Certainly sounds to be pushing it, but I could see CA having a law like that. In IL I've never heard of anything, but agreed... use yer head, don't get on the gas hard... Cause most everywhere there's a ticket for chirpin the tires

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
If you run real tires [swamper bias] theyt don't bark, end of problem.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: +m all the added benifits!
What he said. Buddy of mine has his rear end welded, and the boggers don't squeal/bark at all, even doing a tight circle at full lock. It sounds just like the sound a tire makes when slipping on gravel... maybe at least this way the cop would think you had a broken vehicle, not a lead foot?

It's also a way to talk the wifey into letting you get real tires. :D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
TNToy said:
What he said. Buddy of mine has his rear end welded, and the boggers don't squeal/bark at all, even doing a tight circle at full lock. It sounds just like the sound a tire makes when slipping on gravel... maybe at least this way the cop would think you had a broken vehicle, not a lead foot?

It's also a way to talk the wifey into letting you get real tires. :D
lol, of course I'm 1/2 kidding, but I think radials are nice if you must drive everyday, but sidewalls are just to easy to punture offroad:( Get boggers or TSL's SX's and don't look back:D

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
If you run real tires [swamper bias] theyt don't bark, end of problem.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: +m all the added benifits!
:confused: I am running 32 PSI in my 39.5 Swampers (bias ply of course). I have a Detroit No-Spin and it barks all the time, unless I am just coasting. If I am on the throttle AT ALL, it barks.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
motorhead72k5 said:

:confused: I am running 32 PSI in my 39.5 Swampers (bias ply of course). I have a Detroit No-Spin and it barks all the time, unless I am just coasting. If I am on the throttle AT ALL, it barks.
strange news to me! I saw Lance smoking the tires on his video SX's and no real bark.:confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts