Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK people, first, I'm not sure where to ppost this, so If I'm in the wrong area, plese re-direct me. I came here casue it Jeep to begin with.

Exhibit One: (ok there is one one exhibit but..)

this is the inside of a T-18. the spot we're looking at is where the thrust washer sits on teh end of the bottom main cluster gear counter shaft. A guy gave me this and all the other parts for free. I have another T-18 that is a 4:1 first and I'm going to combine the two to get my 6.32:1 T-18. Yes the new Fuct tranny has 17 teeth on teh input gear... My question is, can anyone or does anyone know a way to fix this chewed up area?

I was thinkin that since a brass thrust washer sat against this face and the area chewed out is from the sleeve inside the cluster, that this surface could be cleaned up and maybe a steel bushing put in or something.. this is just a quick initial thoguht. I don't think it can be welded and smoothed out due to it being cast iron. but please correct me if I'm wrong... I have a buddy that's a hell of a welder and if that can be done he can do it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I actually have two cases. One is rev. up by third one is down by forth. I have 4:1 and 6.32:1. 6.32:1 is the one in the pict above, I'm going to salvage and rebuild from teh two trannies. I was just trying to see if I could salvage this case and have parts to seel off to finance the swap.

BTW, any one have a short 17 tooth T-18 input shaft. I have a mid length early model CJ 4:1 input, and a long J-truck 6:32:1 input. before I see if I can have it machined, I thoght I'd see if anyone needs these, or wants to trade for what I need.

I have all kinds of other parts like a t-18 to d20 adapter... OE!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree it could probably be brazed up and reground to where the thrust washer sat flat. Now the real reason I replied, do you have the thrust cover(bearing retainer) from the j truck????? I need one. J2076

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WEll, I hav e abuddy that's a damn good welder, went to school and got edumacated on welding too. He tooka look at it and said no problem to filling it in, but that he'd be a little questionalbe on smoothing it back out. depending on hom much tolerance it could with stand. Understandable, but what do we have to loose giving it a shot I figure....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
blues balls said:
WEll, I hav e abuddy that's a damn good welder, went to school and got edumacated on welding too. He tooka look at it and said no problem to filling it in, but that he'd be a little questionalbe on smoothing it back out. depending on hom much tolerance it could with stand. Understandable, but what do we have to loose giving it a shot I figure....
You'd be suprised to see what you could do with a file....and most of all, take your time.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If tou know a machinist have him rebush it and mill the end flat.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Two easy choices. Weld it up and have it machined back to spec.

The other is to have it metalized and then machine it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts