Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went on a nice little 4.5 hour (13.5 mile) canoe float this weekend with the family and some co-workers... awesome exercise and the kids LOVED it.

Saw some snakes, cows, baby ducks, an odd white nosed squirrel, fish, and more.

Now I have the itch to pick up a few canoes and we might just have to make a habit of this :cool2:

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Went on a nice little 4.5 hour (13.5 mile) canoe float this weekend with the family and some co-workers... awesome exercise and the kids LOVED it.

Saw some snakes, cows, baby ducks, an odd white nosed squirrel, fish, and more.

Now I have the itch to pick up a few canoes and we might just have to make a habit of this :cool2:

Canoes are cool. You will see a bunch on Craigslist if you keep an eye out

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Had two as a kid. I went out every day, twice a day. I lived in the woods and only came home when I was hungry or it was dark. :D

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Canoes are cool. You will see a bunch on Craigslist if you keep an eye out
Will definately be on the lookout from now on - that kind of quiet family time is hard to come by these days.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You cant go wrong with a canoe. I grew up with one, we used it for everything from fishing, to canoe camping to just tooling around. Now that I've stolen, I mean borrowed it from my parents and taken it to college with me I'm thinking kayaks are where its at. They are just so much more stable and faster

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
I have a 16' Old Towne. I built a electric paddle mount for it too :D

I take the boys out on it all the time, Dad has a 16' Old Towne 2 person kayak, so we usually all go out together. Very peaceful, well, except for the hollering kids :laughing:

·
Hophead
77,672 Posts
You cant go wrong with a canoe. I grew up with one, we used it for everything from fishing, to canoe camping to just tooling around. Now that I've stolen, I mean borrowed it from my parents and taken it to college with me I'm thinking kayaks are where its at. They are just so much more stable and faster
We would love to get a couple kayaks

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Lemme guess.....did you do the Harpeth, Forked Deer, Duck, or Buffalo river?

A 17' Grumman is about as good a canoe as it gets...except if you find a model with a reinforced keel.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I love canoeing. The wife and I actually took a white water paddling class a couple weeks ago on the Hiawasee. Now I REALLY want a 12 or 14' whitewater boat. I had a freaking blast. Don't get me wrong, I love tooling around in our 17' Aluminum Grumman, but I love the white water 10x as much. The wife, not so much. She was not too thrilled.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Buddy and his wife just got a pair of Kayaks and they are having a blast with them. I mentioned them about a month ago for fishing and he thought it was a retarted idea. Now that he has one and tried it out he cannot stop tlaking about how fun it is. I'm looking at get a wilderness ripper, about the cheapest you can get.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you're looking to go a more affordable route, look for a rental place near by - They usually cycle out some of their older boats in the late fall / early spring. Most of the time they have pretty good quality stuff since it gets used pretty frequently. Also look into a canoe / river club. A lot of those guys like to upgrade occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lemme guess.....did you do the Harpeth, Forked Deer, Duck, or Buffalo river?

A 17' Grumman is about as good a canoe as it gets...except if you find a model with a reinforced keel.
Harpeth... down near Kingston Springs. Growing up, I knew every inch of the Harpeth between Franklin and Highway 100, and some time on the Duck and the South Harpeth as well.

May try the Buffalo later this summer, and get in some fishing.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
David, there is a club based in Chattanooga called Tennessee Valley Canoe Club. They have lots of trips in middle TN too. Check it out.

www.tvccpaddles.com

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Nate, but to be honest - I'm thinking more of just the family going.

Called up a buddy and did a nice little 2 hour float on the Duck this afternoon. I really gotta get my own canoe(s), this rental crap is getting expensive :p

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone have suggestions on a cheap way to get into canoeing? rental is nice at times, but I'd like to do some on my own.

Gonna check Dick's Sporting Goods tomorrow, I got a flyer in the paper for a Water Quest canoe for $329, looks like a decent one to get started with and the price is about as cheap as you can find.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts