Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking like crazy but i cant find a diesel truck that fits my budget...

i dont tow often but when i do is a 600 mile roundtrip (Miami to Ocala) is flat the whole time,

and i tow either a cherokee on 37s and 3/4 ton axles or a yj on 1 tons and 42s

I will eventually take longer trips with one of the jeeps or a camper

so this is my questions

05 5.4 f150 4x4 or 05 5.7 1500 4x4(Ram)

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Either one will pull it. Hemi probably has some more balls than the gutless 5.4. I'd look into a 2500 hemi for the bigger brakes. If you can find a 6 speed hemi truck you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
IMO thats actually a hard question. The Dodge will have more power but bad gas mileage and may need a tranny. Even the newer trannies do not hold up well. The Ford may not have the power but should be better on gas and you do not hear of too many bad trannies either. Drive them both and see how they ride, what the power is and which truck overall is in better condition. They both will tow what you have just fine, but do not expect to keep up with the big boys doing it. I would shop around too if you really want a diesel, they are out there for cheap if you look. I just picked up a 99 F-350 Powerstroke with 450k on it, been wrecked but repaired, bed is rotted, needs brake lines and tires. The engine was replaced about 100k ago, tranny was rebuilt for the 5th time 20k ago, has a gooseneck hitch and full power inside. I picked it up for $1k and a days worth of electric work hanging lights in the guys garage. So there are deals around.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I been looking, i just want something i can count with to go to work and school and back home, i had the itch to buy a 05-06 mustang...but i mean thats for fun, i really need a pick up truck.

also i know it will be a big difference going from my current tow rig 01 jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 to a 1/2 truck...

i have been googling for over an hour and it seems like the ford has a bigger rep of being a better overall truck even if the 5.7 has a bit more power, also when it comes to looks they both are really nice trucks, i also like chevys and gmcs but...meh...ford or dodge for me.

I just cant decide so i figure i would ask the experts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I've replaced 12-15 coil packs on the Ford 5.4's of the 2005 and previous body style. I've replaced intake manifolds (coolant leaks) as well as exhaust manifolds due to cracking/leaking. I've replaced quite a few wheel bearings from both body styles. They've had a few door lock actuator and window motor/window switch issues. All of the F150s were stock except for one 4x4 with 33's. This particular one has never serviced the transmission or differentials. With 163,000 miles he's starting to notice his transmission act up when towing a toyota pick-up.

I only know 2 people with the 5.7 hemi 1500. One is a 2wd single cab short bed (that never tows) that has 140,000 problem free miles other than interior rattles. The other is a mega cab 4x4 with 35s. It is a little under powered but still no issues that I recall. The mega cab pulls a couple of atv's during hunting season.

That's all I have to offer :flipoff2:

I say go drive them both!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wouldnt mind a 5.3 gm but no way i would get a tundra i dont like them

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
pic_jon:13797273 said:
I've replaced 12-15 coil packs on the Ford 5.4's of the 2005 and previous body style.
Is that the 97 to 03 or 04 to 08s? Different motors. Ones a 2 valve and the newer is a 3 valve.

The main issue on the 04+ 5.4 is cam phasers. It will tow very well but not much passing power.

Can't comment on the hemi as I've never had one

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
like i said im upgrading from a 01 cherokee 4.0(current tow rig) to a 1/2 ton truck, no downgrading from a diesel truck.

I will just like to know which one is the best out there from those 2, or 3 if we add the silverado/sierra.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Is that the 97 to 03 or 04 to 08s? Different motors. Ones a 2 valve and the newer is a 3 valve.
I've replaced coils on both generations.. The 97-03 more so. Definitely replaced 3 coils on 04-05's over the years.

One other note.. Most people i talk to are also scared of removing spark plugs from the 5.4 liter. I know 2 people who had issues with the threads coming out with the spark plug. Apparently I've been lucky! :eek:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have an 04' Ram 2500 CC Hemi 4x4. My Jeep and trailer combined weight appx. 6500lbs. The truck tows ok, downshifts on hills, downshifts in strong headwinds, would really benifit from swapping the 3.73's to 4.56's. It gets about 12.5 mpg on average around town, drops to 9 or 10mpg towing. I was looking for a half ton 2wd when I found this truck. Kind of the ultimate 1/2ton. Big brakes, solid front axle, trans cooler, ps cooler. I tow the Jeep pretty regular but my trips are 200 miles each way or less. I paid $14,000 for mine earlier this year with 36,000 miles. Mine is very clean.
Before this I had an 03' Ram 1500 CC 2wd with the 4.7. It had factory 3.91 gears. It towed well enough, bought new for $19,995. Chevy and Ford were considerbly more at that time. 60 to 65mph was in it's comfort zone, faster was just beating on it. I have not had any issues out of either truck.
I do have the Somex? trans line pressure upgrade and a Super chips just for the trans shift point programming in the current 2500. Those helped to keep the trans from hunting gears so much. There is no question a diesel will do a better job of towing, but these gas trucks have done what I needed for less money. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Either will tow what you want to do just fine. I pulled 10k plus with a 5.4 super duty pretty regular.

As noted, spark plugs are a biggie if they have never been done, coil packs sometimes go, but accel makes a good replacement, I have yet to see a rash of problems with the ford autos (where as the dodges suck), the other issue with the Ford are the exhaust manifolds. I have yet to drive a mod motered ford that the exhaust doesn't leak on. My 08 super duty stated ticking at 26k miles.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cant find any 3/4 gas trucks around here, im not in a rush i just have to keep looking, i have seen some gm but if im doing a 3/4 gas truck it has to be ford or dodge (solid axle).

Im going to test drive a ram and a ford today, i drove the 4.6 f150 but no way its a piece of shit:flipoff2:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Known issue with the Fords is blowing spark plugs out of their holes and taking the threads and coil pack with them when it happens. My hunting buddy just had this happen on his 99 'light duty' F250, earlier this month. (it's basically an f150 with a 5.4L, bigger brakes and higher rated suspension, oh and those pesky 7 lug axles). We were heading out for our morning hunt when over the radio came the call about the mechanical issue, thought then to be an exhaust leak. He barely made it back into camp and found that the second to last hole on the passenger of his 5.4L had spit out his plug. We tried to service it in the field, but couldn't. It cut our hunt short, (South Rim of the Grand Canyon, in the snow) I towed him back with my F350 and my other buddy hauled back my trailer, with his 2500 GMC.

The internet has many posts about Fords ejecting plugs, so we knew it was a common problem. (feel free to search on your own) We didn't know just how common it was, until the auto service center was told that we were bringing in a vehicle that had shot out a spark plug and they replied with "What kind of Ford, do you own?" Made us both smile, over the disappointment of heading back from the hunt, early. It also made me glad I was driving my 7.3L, ZF6, at the time. Other than that issue, my buddy has been Okay with his 5.4L. He doesn't tow much more than a light boat or a quad and it does fine.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am a Ford guy but for a 1/2 ton in the year range and approximate budget I would be looking at 5.3 GM's over the Ford or the Dodge.
Why is that? people keep telling me this but not the reason why..

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
.....for a 1/2 ton in the year range and approximate budget I would be looking at 5.3 GM's over the Ford or the Dodge.
I second that. Or even a 6.0

Why is that? people keep telling me this but not the reason why..
For me, it's piece of mind/familiarity.

BTW.. Maybe I over looked it :confused: What price range are you looking in??

·
Registered
357 Posts
if you have enough $ to buy an 05 ford or dodge why not look for a 90's cummins?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My 03 4.7 Ram has been unbelievably reliable. I bought it with 60k, it now has 230k and about 160k of that was towing a car trailer, plus a huge amount of idling that was probably worse for it than anything. The fuel pump died at about 200k, the rear pinion seal started leaking at about 160k, the AC condensor fan died at about 140k, and some part of the steering system just started leaking slightly (haven't even bothered to find it yet). Also had the issue with the HVAC doors, I don't know what year they fixed that.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. I couldn't find a manual trans truck and I was so worried about the trans when I bought it that I paid a shitload of money for an extended warranty. A couple years ago I hit black ice and skidded into a ditch and dented the pan on the trans and had to have it replaced. The mechanic said the fluid was still pristine. I'm not kidding about the 160k of towing either, that's all across the country, hauling 7k over the Rockies at 15mph and everything.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
if you have enough $ to buy an 05 ford or dodge why not look for a 90's cummins?
This. If you can afford an '05 gasser, you can afford a first gen or early 2nd gen Cummins and have plenty of money left over to fix any little issues and fill the tank. My '92 spent most of its life dragging a giant bumper pull toy hauler all over hell and back, and even with 300k+ on the clock, it's been one hell of a good truck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I tow with an 06 5.7 dodge and Kick myself for not getting an older cummins or power-stroke. If you can spend the money for a late model half ton get an older diesel rig they are out there just have to hunt. quite a few good deals on here recently for tow rigs

1 - 20 of 57 Posts