Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its a stock 1986 4runner 22re. With in the last week it started to stumble under a load and at idle. I changed the air idle control today cause when you move the electrical connector it would kinda fix the problem. I also notice to the heater will only work every so often. Don't know if that has anything to do with the stumbling problem but kinda odd. It's almost like its running on 3 cylinders when its doing it. Any help or a point in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
mine did same thing, replaced the AFM. havent had an issue since

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
changed that to

I swapped it out with a buddies and it still does it and his truck runs fine with mine in it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will check all that tomorrow

But its really intermittent. I would think is it secondary it would be more constant. We it running it runs freakin awesome. I just went out and started it to move it after cooling down and it will idle fine then studder down in rpm's for a sec then back up

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Check to see if your resistance is within spec on your idle terminals of your TPS

·
Wut?
14,912 Posts
X2 bro check the plugs cap rotor and wires
JAK
x3, but my money is on one of the wires. Had somthing like this happen in my Nova once, tracked it down to a single wire that was having issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Possibily injectors, mine was doing the same thing cause the injectors were leaking out the orings i believe. Spray carb cleaner on them while its idling and if there is leaks the idle will spike for a second. Just a thought.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
coo thanks guys

im gonna jam home today put new plugs wires cap and rotor and see what happens. i will report back:D

·
popeye
5,625 Posts
also if you have access to your buddy's truck, try swapping distributors to see if that changes anything.

i had the same kind of issues and swapped the new one from my 85 to my 87 and it was gone.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
If you wiggle the idle motor connector which fixes the problem and having no heat makes me wonder...

Pull the coolant tubes running to it and check for sludge. Every abused unmaintained 22RE has issues with this, sludged vacuum ports, cracked vacuum lines, etc.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you wiggle the idle motor connector which fixes the problem and having no heat makes me wonder...

Pull the coolant tubes running to it and check for sludge. Every abused unmaintained 22RE has issues with this, sludged vacuum ports, cracked vacuum lines, etc.
Had a 88' pu did the same thing,would come and go. Checked resistance and swaped out tps ,afm, coolant temp sens. Prior owner believed in bars leak and pore maint, the oil was like tar . Took an engine flush and 3 oil changes to clean it up .Pull the air tube off to your throttle body and see if you have tar and crap all built up around the butterfly , if so remove everything and clean it . Did this to mine ,problem solved.This was 8 yrs ago my vac lines were ok to poor condition but not leaking ,if yours are orig that makes them 24yrs old. I say replace the lines even if they are ok.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not really an update but

So I got home late last night and it was just to dam cold to work in it much so I disconnected the batt just to see if reseting anything might work. Well it fires right and runs then will act like it wants to die then comes back idle. It will do this threw the whole warm up. When warm some times it acts like its idling fine but when I go to rev it the thing sounds like its running on 3 cylinders then it goes away and runs fine. Then I go to sti e it and under a load around 2500 to 3000 rpm it will buck. I won't get to work on it until Saturday cause of it being dark and cold by the time I get home. So I just bough this runner and when driving home ran fine nice temp and everything then got gas and then 5 min down the road it starts to over heat from what gauge says. Turn it off right away then turn it on 4 min later temp is fine the rest of the way home. It has done that a few times for the last 3 weeks I have owned it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
figured it out

It ended up being the white wire with red stripe in the harness. It had a splice connector in it and when I un taped it the wire fell out. Reconnected it and runs awesome. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
109 Posts
now fix mine...its had this same problem for years...have yet to find it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts