Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
History: I setup this Toyota 4 cyl diff about a month ago for this fellow, installed 4.88's and all new bearings. Went well, good pattern, no issues.

He installed it, proper break-in, I think it has about 2000 miles on it now. Last weekend when he was wheeling he somehow tore a few teeth off the spiders and side gears. I had him put a strong rare earth magnet in the axle housing before putting the diff in, the magnet caught all the chunks so the new gears are still fine.

Except that now he can't get a decent pattern on the gears. He replaced the spiders, which required pulling the ring off. He reset the B/L at 0.007", and this is what the pattern looks like:

Sorry about the picture quality, it's what he sent me. Looks messed up to me, like the carrier is crooked or something. I don't like the sharp edges on the pattern, it definitely wasn't like that before. I can't imagine the pinion depth has changed, there is a solid spacer on it.

Any ideas? Could the housing be bent or something?

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
If he removed the ring gear from the carrier, it's possible he did not re-install it in the exact same position, or he got a metal shaving or piece of dirt between the ring gear and carrier, or the carrier bearings?. Have him check the run out on the ring gear.

The wear pattern from the original set up doesn't look too good either.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Are you sure the ring gear is all the way seated? I know the ring gear won't just plop on the carrier unless the carrier is froze and the ring gear is oven-ed.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the original pattern was good when I was finished. I spent a lot of time getting the pinion depth right.

I'll ask about seating the ring, I told him to heat it in a water bath on the stove, but don't let it boil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts