Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 3/4 ton w/ctd. The problem is a couple of weeks ago my brake/abs light started coming on at the end of a long gradual stop or a long decent. NOw the light is on all the time and my brakes have become very difficult to apply. Its like trying to stop a truck w/ power brakes thats not running. The pedal is very firm but no stopping power. My thought was brake booster but figured I'd get a couple of second opinions. thanks

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Does your brake pedal feel lower than it was before this started happening? I don't really see how having a bad brake booster would make the brake light come on. You likely have a problem with the hydraulic part of the system.

Have you checked to make sure the master cylinder is full? It seems obvious, but earlier this year on my DD a rear wheel cylinder started leaking and I didn't realize that it was until the brake light came on and I checked the fluid level. I would say it is something simple like this, or you could have a bad master cylinder too.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fluid level is fine and the pedal is at the topof its travel it will only move about and inch then it gets very veryb hard to depress any further. Something to note though, when I drive a long way without touching the brakes, say 15 mniles the first time i hit the brakes it will go about half way to the floor and the brakes will work reasonably well. But if i pump them just once then they will be hard and not work worth the shit?

·
Registered
266 Posts
bigair said:
I have a 93 3/4 ton w/ctd. The problem is a couple of weeks ago my brake/abs light started coming on at the end of a long gradual stop or a long decent. NOw the light is on all the time and my brakes have become very difficult to apply. Its like trying to stop a truck w/ power brakes thats not running. The pedal is very firm but no stopping power. My thought was brake booster but figured I'd get a couple of second opinions. thanks

You have a sensor for the abs on the rear axle that is bad.. replace it and your brakews will work properly again.. It is in the top of the pumpkin

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Have you checked to see if you have vacuum? If your vac pump has failed, or you have a bad hose I think it will set an abs light off. At least I've heard it will on 93 down trucks.
Travis..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts