Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm switching to coilovers. They need to mount right where my master cylinder is. Is there a simple was to relocate it? I doubt it. The mounts need to be close as possible and above the MC three inches. Maybe build a super tight radius hose I think it's 3/8 inverted flare or something not sure. Can i plug it and come out the bottom? Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can remote mount the master toward the firewall and build an extension rod to the booster. I did this for my recent build but you only save 2" or so over a MC

·
Registered
623 Posts
Why does the coilover HAVE to go where the master cylinder is?

Regardless, Wilwood offers a nice reverse master cylinder pedal setup that a lot of guys use for buggy applications. You'd lose power brakes, and retaining the dashboard might be difficult, but if you absolutely want the coilover where the master cylinder currently resides, this isn't a bad way to go.

-Hans

·
Registered
623 Posts
77 78 grand marquis master cylinder
That's a Corvette master in his first picture.... does the Grand Marquis cylinder bolt up to that booster? I know the E350 cylinder (and most of the rest of the Ford stuff) uses different bolt spacing.

-Hans

·
Registered
623 Posts
He's running a Vanco Hydroboost though... which uses the GM spacing. I don't think the Grand Marquis cylinder will bolt up to that without modification.

-Hans

·
Registered
623 Posts
is it the same spacing as the ford hydroboost?
I don't know for sure, but I'd doubt it. Typically, the GM and Ford cylinders from that era used different bolt spacing. For instance, the GM cylinders (Corvette, Firebird, etc.) bolt directly up to the CJ booster. The YJ and XJ boosters use a different bolt spacing, which is very close to the Ford stuff (most guys run the E350 master cylinder with the holes bored out a tiny bit). So assuming that his hydroboost setup uses a Corvette master cylinder (which it sure looks like to me), It's doubtful that a Grand Marquis cylinder will bolt up without serious modification. (It's possible that there might be enough casting material there that you could slot the holes and get it to bolt up, but I doubt it).

-Hans

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
reason i ask is the f350 super duties have hydroboost and the master has the brake lines coming out on the pass side, the e350 (without hydroboost) master will not bolt up to the f350 hydroboost without mods.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Vanco hydrabooster and whatever master cylinder comes with the ported TJ kit. 1/2 ton chevy calipers rear and F350 dually front calipers.
Call Eddie and get the master that has the quad ports. Use the two on the other side.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can remote mount the master toward the firewall and build an extension rod to the booster. I did this for my recent build but you only save 2" or so over a MC

I'm doing that, thanks so much, badass idea. Cold you give some details on your pivot point and cantilever push rods?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts