Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying in using air bags for my mini buggy and my old beer soaked brain cannot remember this simple fact.. I could lay out my levers in 2 configurations the long end is 12" and the short is 6, that is a 2:1 ratio but does the angle the bag pushes on the lever have any affect on the ratio? I have one setup with the bag 90* to the link and one at a 45* the end result is the same right?

I also am looking for a double shear sealed bearing arrangement for this, I have seen all the trailer axle spindles used for tire carriers but only found one from AJ's offroad that is a double shear but it is not sealed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Plot the wheel travel vs spring travel. The slope is your motion ratio. It will change throughout the whole range of travel. You don't want it to be too progressive because of how progressive the air bags are.

I don't know of anyone that makes a double shear setup. You will most likely have to make your own.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Lord! You have a calculator for that! :flipoff2: Back to google to figure out how that works...

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
You can plot it to scale on graph paper (or full size if you want) and take the measurements. If you take the measurements I'll plot it for you (when I get back from KOH).

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't picked up a piece of metal yet, I am designing this on autocad right now. I know the full compressed height of the bag is 3" extended is 9 and ride height is 5.5 to 7. I am going to use a bag that is rated for more then needed to allow me to run lower psi and keep it a little less progressive.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Just asking a question out loud -

that link had something very interesting in it. It looks like he chopped a sway bar to make a shorter leverage length and linked into the cantilever arm before the pivot point. whats the real math on that look like?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts