Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new daily driver. '92 4cyl, 5sp, 31s...the basics. The goal is to build a rig that is capable of handling local wheeling and daily driver duties, that looks good, and with as little downtime as possible.

Where to start.......bob the bed!

Took out 14". There were a few small dents that made things interesting, but overall it went smoothly.

Plans for the rig...
-Bobbed bed (CHECK)
-Bumpers f/r
-Sliders
-Cage
-SAS
-35s

...I think that will keep me busy for a while! :flipoff2: I'll update the thread as more progress is made.

I'm enjoying driving this truck around, it reminds me of my original pickup...

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
are you also gonna toss in a 2nd case and lockers? i also miss driving mine around before i started getting all crazy and cutting shit up

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ewww, you had thorn turds :flipoff2:

Thats a damn nice bob. Looks like a good start.

Still building that samurai buggy?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I give it a year until it looks like the avatar!!!

Reminds me of my truck only mines an ext cab. The SAS was the best mod I could have done to that 11 yr old suspension. Rides perfectly now that I am geared w/35s. Good Luck and keep up the progress!

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will def. get locked. As for dual cases, I have been thinking about making changes to the drivetrain in the buggy, if I do the pickup will get that set of duals.

Hey man, thornbirds were pimp back then...LOL. Or maybe I just didn't know any better.

I sold the samurai stuff to a guy in Indiana.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
erg801 said:
I give it a year until it looks like the avatar!!!

Reminds me of my truck only mines an ext cab. The SAS was the best mod I could have done to that 11 yr old suspension. Rides perfectly now that I am geared w/35s. Good Luck and keep up the progress!

I hear you man...I am hoping to skip the leaf springs up front and link it up. We'll see how it goes.

How do you like the TRXus?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I really like them. A lot of guys at Paragon were callin them pussy swampers but I was going everywhere they were with my trxus, stock gears, and open at both ends. I also had em aired down to 8 psi, lost one bead cause I slammed down off a ledge. I drive it 70 miles a day with no complaints. Prob have 12-15k on them and I expect twice that at least.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Lookin good. where do you wheel? I'm tryin to get a trip together with some guys from Norfolk and Maryland. I know paragon would be cool but we're broke and all that tow rig gas is expensive.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kajo4x4toy said:
That didn't take long!
John - You know me...why waste time? :D :D

KacksterK5 said:
Lookin good. where do you wheel? I'm tryin to get a trip together with some guys from Norfolk and Maryland. I know paragon would be cool but we're broke and all that tow rig gas is expensive.
Thanks...Paragon, Rausch Creek, Crozet, Big Dogs, Tellico, etc...the usual East Coast spots.

tj40ounce said:
Nice bob... What leaves are you going to run in the rear?

Also, saw your buggy in a recent mag (I think)... Looks good!
Hopefully no leaves! The plan is to end up linked f/r.

Thanks...that was mine! It was awesome to see it in there. All I wanted was one pic, I didn't care how small it was :D.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
OK...this project is going to start to make some headway now.

I said goodbye to an old friend tonight (sold the buggy)... :(

Here is my one hour bumper for the rear. I didn't want to put too much time into anything yet, because I'm not exactly sure how the susp and frame are going to play out in the rear.

Matt at Independent4x4 hooked me up with a Wagoneer Dana 44 for the front. It will be getting linked up :D. Stay tuned as parts start to roll in...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
So why'd you sell the buggy? Wanting to get back to your "roots"?

BTW, a *few* of us on here remember when your screen name was applicable ;)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Kajo4x4toy said:
I believe people on this board are going to think both of us are crazy. 2 buggy's from Poorboy's gone in 2 days. :rasta:
I think they'd be right!

DRM said:
So why'd you sell the buggy? Wanting to get back to your "roots"?

BTW, a *few* of us on here remember when your screen name was applicable
LOL...I don't think I'll be applying the screen name again, atleast not any time soon. That did turn a lot of heads though :D.

Ummm...I just got a hair on my ass I guess. I figured it was a good time to cash out of it while it was still fresh. I sold my dodge and trailer also. I am just trying to continue having as much fun with the sport as I've been having, without having so much money tied up in it. The goal is to end up with a nice towing setup and a decent streetable crawler without any debt. It will be interesting to see how long it stays streetable though. My mind changes pretty fast sometimes.

That and I've just had a lot of ideas about building a pickup again. I'm sure it will be another evolution and I'll end up with a buggy again in a couple years, but oh well. If anything it's good practice and my skills just keep improving.

The other funny thing is that John and I seem to be on the same page with our builds. It wasn't planned, it just kind of worked out that way. I think the main goal is to end up with a rig that is capable of driving down the street, and capable of running most of the same trails we were running with our buggies. Is it possible, I don't know? But it will be fun to find out :D.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts