Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a CJ, and his carb started freezing up a couple weeks ago, here's a copy of his post from another message board:

Since this cold weather has hit the last week and a half or so, my carb has been freezing up. It starts to run ruff then it pisses fuel out like a mother #$%^&&. If you look at the carb you can see the frost line and if you take off the breather, and look into it, its froze but good. I have to let it sit and let the heat from the manifold warm it up(melt it), then its good to go for a little while again, then I must rinse and repeat.

Any ideas to help him out?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Does he have the heated air tube from the exhaust to the air cleaner? Also, has he rerouted the heater hoses that run coolant through the intake manifold (258)?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yep, I second what CoryB's saying. That carburetor icing was a real common problem on old honda cars. The diaphram that moved the heated air door or the thermoswitch in the air box would get bent by some dork at jiffy lube and the next cold day with a high moisture level your throttle bores would ice up.
Get after the thermal air/intake warming systems. :D

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DoubleBit said:
Yep, I second what CoryB's saying. That carburetor icing was a real common problem on old honda cars. The diaphram that moved the heated air door or the thermoswitch in the air box would get bent by some dork at jiffy lube and the next cold day with a high moisture level your throttle bores would ice up.
Get after the thermal air/intake warming systems. :D
Cool, thanks guys.
I'll send a link to this thread to my buddy. Actually, i haven't talked to him in about a week, maybe he's got it figured out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts