Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that either switching to injection or upgrading to one of those "off road" carbs will help me climb the steep stuff better AND keep my 350 powered CJ much cooler. I don't doubt the 1st one but I'm wondering if I can get away with another carb or if I really should inject it.
Right now, I'm pushing 210+ when I'm crawling. I have a Griffin radiator, that new 2500 cfm Flex-Lite fan, no timing in the motor and a, well used, Edelbrock (AFB) carb. I'm pretty sure my weak link is the carb. Would a new AFB or Holley really get me under 200deg? It sure would be nice to climb big, long hills with all 8 hitting.:skull:
Thoughts?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have no idea how anyone can get you on the path of a better carb = cooler temp on the motor.

I would try a different temperature thermostat, shroud your rad and cut some louvers into your hood to let the hot air out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The only way I see it heating up because of fuel is if it is running lean. What carb are you running right now? About a 600cfm worked great on my 350s.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It wont help your heating problem. I have been there when swapping to TBI and it didnt make any difference.

How big is your radiator core (surface area)? Does it have a tranny cooler built in? Hoses good/ have a spring in the lower hose to prevent collapse? Are you running a shroud with your electric fan? High flow or regular pump? Air fully bled out - is the cap the highest point in the system? What pressure cap do you run? Airflow in the engine bay (do you have inner fenders, louvers, etc)? As you can see heating problems can be very complex to solve. I am still trying to keep my 350 cool in my flatty.

Have you pulled the plugs to see if it is running lean?

Lastly Im no expert but shouldnt you be running some timing with your carb?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
If your timing is retarded, it will run hotter than it should. Set your timing to 34-36 degrees total w/vacuum advance unhooked and see what your timing is at idle. It will hopefully be in the 8-12 deg before tdc area. If not, correct the problem.
Travis..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only reason I thought it could be the carb is 'cause it's (the mixture) all over the board. When I'm really climbing, I think it's sloshing raw gas down the tubes (at least it runs like that). I've never run a "off road" carb before and I didn't want to be in the same boat (just $300 lighter). Who makes a 600 (or less) cfm carb that runs up hill and sideways?
I think I'm going to try louvering the hood. I know there's lots of trapped heat in there.
The Griffin radiator & fan are new and made a huge difference but it's crawling that gets things cooking. The fan is the latest Flex-lite (self shrouding) single that flows 2500cfm. That's more than any single I've seen (at least what will fit in a jeep). No trans cooler, mech advance HEI, spring in both rad hoses, 17lb Griffin cap, 4" over the highest point. I am running a stock water pump though. Maybe I swap that out AND louver the hood.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Extend your vent tubes on top of your carb will help with raw fuel dumping over and running like crap. I think truck advenger has a 550cfm carb.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Propane

1 - 9 of 9 Posts