Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a ZJ, some questionable looking items & the pic has been used on a CL scam ad, but I found it at a dealer.....

vin
1J4GZ48S6WC220715

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
Looks clean. On a $2700 truck with 140 on the clock I wouldn't worry to much about a carfax

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a used ZJ, just look at it in person. Carfax won't tell you anything useful.
I hear you I am just curious about a rear end accident.... I should be able to tell if there is unibody damage pretty easily though.... Was planning on going to see it tomorrow morning.

·
Mr. DJ
20,844 Posts
no don't look at it?

thanks...

so two accidents....
I wouldn’t. Damage to right front pillar? That’s code for major damage usually. I mean how do you damage a pillar?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn’t. Damage to right front pillar? That’s code for major damage usually. I mean how do you damage a pillar?
yeah I was wondering if that is what that exactly meant & you cant just replace a part like that, so its either under layers of bondo or something....

I guess its good ammo to lowball

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
yeah I was wondering if that is what that exactly meant & you cant just replace a part like that, so its either under layers of bondo or something....

I guess its good ammo to lowball
The fuck?

You can replace an A pillar on those fairly easily.

Chances are very little damage was done anyways, but it was reported since it was fairly new then and they wanted the paint fixed properly.

Rear ended and drove away? Who gives a fuck, as long as they didn't tear the hitch mounts out of the unibody it's fine, most likely they reported it because it either needed a new bumper cover or because the idiot that hit them crumpled their hood like an accordion and was making a claim.

People like DJ are why I hate selling older previously enjoyed vehicles. You're going to nitpick a fucking Carfax for something that's being sold for $2700? Get the fuck off my property before I add another 'accident' to the report.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fuck?

Chances are very little damage was done anyways, but it was reported since it was fairly new then and they wanted the paint fixed properly.

Rear ended and drove away? Who gives a fuck, as long as they didn't tear the hitch mounts out of the unibody it's fine, most likely they reported it because it either needed a new bumper cover or because the idiot that hit them crumpled their hood like an accordion and was making a claim.

People like DJ are why I hate selling older previously enjoyed vehicles. You're going to nitpick a fucking Carfax for something that's being sold for $2700? Get the fuck off my property before I add another 'accident' to the report.
Hah how many times have you been plowed hard in the rear end?, but I get your point... my xj has more damage from offroad antics than most folks will ever see on the road & it has a clean carfax!

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Hah how many times have you been plowed hard in the rear end?, but I get your point... my xj has more damage from offroad antics than most folks will ever see on the road & it has a clean carfax!
Since you want me to say something :rainbow:, me and my 97 XJ took a hard rear end pounding when I was stopped at a green light (intersection was not clear), some split hit us hard and yes, her hood was folded back like an accordion. I was literally like "I don't give a fuck, I'm not claiming this" and left, but I took a picture of her plate and license and she did of mine, just 'cause.

3 months later I got a letter from the ICBC (state run insurance ponzi scheme) that there had been a claim against my XJ and that since I hadn't responded they were ruling without my input. :eek: She had reported hitting me because she wanted her hood fixed, so my XJ likely had the exact same thing as that ZJ on the Carfax. Luckily she told them she hit me, so I was not ruled at fault in any way.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since you want me to say something :rainbow:, me and my 97 XJ took a hard rear end pounding when I was stopped at a green light (intersection was not clear), some split hit us hard and yes, her hood was folded back like an accordion. I was literally like "I don't give a fuck, I'm not claiming this" and left, but I took a picture of her plate and license and she did of mine, just 'cause.

3 months later I got a letter from the ICBC (state run insurance ponzi scheme) that there had been a claim against my XJ and that since I hadn't responded they were ruling without my input. :eek: She had reported hitting me because she wanted her hood fixed, so my XJ likely had the exact same thing as that ZJ on the Carfax. Luckily she told them she hit me, so I was not ruled at fault in any way.
must have knocked all the mud off your mudflaps, sounds like any good evening round here...

Anyway Im just looking for something safe & reasonable for my mother in law to drive around in & not break all the time... I was looking at the zj because I can fix everything on them and they are plentiful in the junk yard.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Anyway Im just looking for something safe & reasonable for my mother in law to drive around in & not break all the time... I was looking at the zj because I can fix everything on them and they are plentiful in the junk yard.
Just look it over like you would anything else, you know to look at that pillar and how the door fits specifically, and look at the hitch mounts and unibody back there in case it actually was a hard hit. You're getting exactly what you're seeing.

Make sure it shifts good and the tranny fluid looks good too, it's really the only thing I worry about with those things.

·
Mr. DJ
20,844 Posts
The fuck?

So, the point I was making was how much damage did the car receive to need a pillar repair? Maybe replace a door or a fender? Carfax doesn’t know what happened just what was reported. I’m not going to nitpick it. I’m not even going to look at it.

I’ve seen cars where carfax called them for minor damage in the rear. The whole rear quarter had been replaced.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
So, the point I was making was how much damage did the car receive to need a pillar repair? Maybe replace a door or a fender? Carfax doesn’t know what happened just what was reported. I’m not going to nitpick it. I’m not even going to look at it.

I’ve seen cars where carfax called them for minor damage in the rear. The whole rear quarter had been replaced.
Of course you're not going to look at it, you're not in the market for a sub $3000 ZJ.

If this was a 3 year old car with a report like that, I'd probably pass because there's likely better options, but it's fucking 20 years old. :shaking:

And I've seen clean Carfax reports for grafted vehicles.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Of course you're not going to look at it, you're not in the market for a sub $3000 ZJ.

If this was a 3 year old car with a report like that, I'd probably pass because there's likely better options, but it's fucking 20 years old. :shaking:
Uh, craigslist is FLOODED with vehicles under 3k that still have original paint, at the 20 year or newer mark.

You make it sound like he's asking for a lot - he is not. You must be one of those flipper guys on CL trying to get top dollar for worthless shit, or you have a shit selection in your area

Millions of cars to chose from. Literally. No need to buy crashed junk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts