Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I know its cross posted on discweb but I need advice...

Ok, so I wake up today and go to open the Rear cargo door on my 98 disco and guess what. It doesnt want to open. The handle (Inside or outside handles. I tried both.) doesnt seem to work. Then After much f**k'n with it I get it open and take off the door panel. And cant seem to find the problem. Because its not the linkage like i thought. So off the the dealer I go. Now they tell me its $168 for a new latch and $385 in labor and thats only if they can get the door back open and dont have to use a crow bar and break it open because if that happens then they have to send it to the body shop to fix the damage and that will cost alot more. So DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS, OPTIONS, RUN INTO THIS BEFORE???

PS Im sure DieLucas! will have lots of sage advice on this one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Weld it shut??? (long pause) :confused: Just kidding, I know that in the past, I've had trouble with the drivers door on my 93RR. My gut instinct tells me to check the linkage again. I know I'm not psychic, but just check it again.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Grease WD40, Vaseline...etc...LUBE UP HUNNY!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Linkage is all intact. I have the dealer give me a copy of the part diagram of the lock/linkage/latch. Anyway, I'll keep trying. Later Nutter

PS still waiting on advice.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
First, once open, leave the inner panel off. That way you can get at the bits if it is stuck again.

We need more info. Are all the door adjustments good? This includes hinges, catch pin, door wedge thingy. Note the lower hinges get bent if the door is opened hard agianst the retainer. What I would do is (once open), pull the catch pin, then do all adjustments. Next test the latch when open and adjust. Put the pin back in with a loose adjustment. If it is the catch not releasing under tension, you will be safe to release the tension by pushing on the door. If this is the case, replace the latch. Do it yourself..... Dealers are idiots.

Is this a series 1 or 2?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Is this the easy-to-fix "handles move but door doesn't open" feture of Discos?

Do the handles inside and out move, but nothing's opening? Take off that little green oval on the back door handle and lube it up with silicone spray / WD40 / whatever and keep moving it. It just jams up sometimes.

There. All better now :flipoff2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts