Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my other thread about the current build of my Universal Trailer a few folks have mentioned other brands of non-toyhauler enclosed trailers with living quarters, such as the CampMaster and the Work-N-Play. I thought I'd post some pictures of another alternative, the Carrera trailer by Carson. My brother Matt bought this one recently and I've been pretty impressed with it.

Carson also makes a cheap-o toyhauler style "stick & tin" trailer called the FunRunner. The Carrera appears to be much better built than the Funrunner, as its basically an enclosed race car trailer with RV amenities built in. Here are some pix:

This one has an extra rise at the rear with an extra tall ramp door that doesn't appear to be standard, as none of the other trailers on the lot had it when we were looking at these:

Even with the rear bed, Matt's Bronco fits inside with room to spare. Every other toyhauler I've seen with a rear bed was too short to fit the Bronco without removing the bed, except for my freind's Next Level Fifth Wheel:

Plenty of room inside for the Bronco:

RV-style living amenities like the fully equipped kitchen and bathroom:

All of the cool features this thing came with makes my Universal Trailer look downright primitive by comparison. The awning is a good example.

Pretty beefy tubular tongue members rather than C-channels on cheaper trailers:

All set up at Big Bear last weekend:

If anyone has any questions post them here. Matt's not too computer savvy but he does read the Pirate board and if you have a question about it he'll probably answer.

Dusty

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
The Carrera looks nice...Well, we went to the local RV show today and I have this to report:

Stopped my what the Show brochure stated was the Campmaster dealer (Sacramento RV's or something). Asked about the Campmaster and we were told that they no longer carry the Campmaster and good riddence. They basically stated that the fit and finish was garbage and they were very unhappy with the quality. They did however pick up the Work & Play by Forest River. Since they were a new dealer, they didn't know a whole lot about some of the questions I asked (custom designs, etc). Well, my buggy would barely fit into the bumper pull model, but my Scout would never have a chance of fitting (78" between wheel wells & approx 6'6" tall). The 5th wheel model widens the Wheel wells another couple inches and is an overall taller unit...Approx price on the 5th: 34k.
Next we ventured to the Campmaster Dealer. They were new to the brand (Go figure, since the other place just dropped them) and needed to find out a bunch of info from the MFG too. Well, we looked at the 5th that they had there since the bumper pull was maybe a 20ft total length (No front bed, etc). Well, the other guys were right, this thing had all kinds of fitment issues. The bed in the 5th area was just a cheap matress just sitting there on the carpeted floor. So, the bed could easily slide off since there was nothing holding it on. Most of the trim pieces were cut slightly off and would need attention. I walked to the hitch area and noticed that a 1 armed chimp with a hatchet must have cut out the cross supports for the hitch. I asked the Sales person about some of the issues that she mentioned that they (The RV sales lot) would try to fix what they could when a trailer arrived, but they couldn't fix everything. She was very cool to deal with, and was very honest at least. She did state that this trailer was not really a higher quyality trailer as far as an RV. It was designed primarily as a race trailer. This 5th did have a slide out couch though and was roomy inside. However, the quality left me disappointed especially since I thought were going to get one of these after reading AZdude's nice write up (Link ) Anyways, this model (34ish feet I think) was $29k including the slide out. At least the price reflected the quality. So, I didn't totally rule this out since I could easily redo some of the fawked up shit and save 5k vs the Forest River one.
Then we stopped by the Hiloday Rambler's trailers called "the Next Level" These things are :grinpimp: . Leather chairs, aluminum sides, steel chassis (I tried to view the chassis, but they cover the bottom for weather protection so I couldn't see the cross beams..anyone have experience with this model?), slide out master bed, and shit loads of upper storage about all the cabinets. Base prices are way high, but the sales guy was like "This one says $47k, it'll sell for around 40K" so we went to the next model (1st one was a 37' one). The 34' seems about the right size. It would sell for about 39k.

So, we could buy a POS for 29K, a unit that will be "OK" for our needs for 36K, or one that exactly fits for 39k. So, as we were walking out, I'm looking through the Campmaster brochure again, and my wife says "I wouldn't bother looking at that, you should look at the Next Level one and start picking out our options :D ...too bad we have the pay for it.:( Anyways, we are still several months out from ordering so I'll be researching more models still.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Next Levels are VERY nice. My freind has one that he hauls his EB in. When I first looked through it last year, I went back to my bosses at the company I work for and wrote them a LONG email titled "My Friend Looked at a XXXX and Bought a Next Level Instead" (I used the name of one of our toyhauler lines where the XXXX is) with a laundry list of no-brainer features that we somehow failed or refused to put on our stuff. As far as neat features, the Next Level blows away just about any other toyhauler I've seen (Fleetwood's GearBox has some nice features but their quality and workmanship is typical Fleetwood dookie). Of course, as you found out, all those goodies come at a price. But if your ole lady is already on board for it, that's most of the battle already! My only reservation about the Next Level is that for all of its nice features, its still more Toyhauler than Car Trailer. All toyhaulers have steel frame chassis. But its the construction, the frame rails, crossmembers, and the wall, roof (box) construction. Did they build it with a heavy 4X4 in mind or just to haul a couple of quads? I'd consider what you're hauling and research the Next Level's constructions materials and methods thoroughly before plunking down the kind of cash they're asking on such a long-term investment. Also check the trailer's weight and ask yourself if your tow rig can pull it up a grade with full tanks, loaded with your trail rig and enough firewood for a long weekend. My freind's Next Level with his EB in it goes WAY past the GCWR on his Dodge CTD. He dropped a bunch of money into the Dodge to get more power and braking so he could tow it without too much trouble.

Sorry to hear about the poor workmanship on the CampMaster. Its a neat product otherwise. But if you can determine that the Next Level will hold up to your usage and you can afford it that would be a bitchin setup.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Yeah, I plan of gettting full pics of the chassis that they use. They are rated at 5k worth of vehicle once all the tanks are full. And, yes, if I ordered every feature, I'd be over my capacity towing. But, I'd delete some of the nice to have items, but not needed stuff (Pressure washer, extra fuel tank, etc). I didn't see any carrera's at the show, but your buddy's looks good. I need to see one of those too.

We are looking longterm though and I don't want to buy a POS or a trailer that won't fit our needs in the future. So, that's why I'm considering something as nice as the Next Level.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I went to the same RV show as Scout Dude and saw some pretty trick stuff. Those Next Levels were by far the best at that show. I think I have convinced the wife that it is a "most needed" item already, it will just be a battle over the interior configuration.

When I came home I was searching some of the race car forums and found these guys in Brea CA. http://www.santektrailers.com/5thwheel.html That is one sweet trailer. I found a guy that was selling one used and he indicated that he pulled his with his GMC 2500 HD (I think the trailer was 38' ish). They are definately PIMP.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts