Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me how carrier bearing preload is set? a guy helped me on the first set of 3rd mbrs I ever set up more than a year ago, but I don't remember specifically how/what was done to set that.

I'm in the middle of setting up my second set now.... but I've just found out the carrier bearing preload was incorrect on the 1st rear diff I did and the carrier flange on the ARB spun on the bearings ... &, evidently, now the carrier flange needs replacing. I don't want the same mistake to happen again....

TIA-
Troy

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Hmmm,

If you spun a carrier bearing (I am assuming you spun the race), then would the problem be bearing preload or would it be improperly torqued endcap bolts? Unless the preload was set really, really high and the whole bearing heated up and seized.

I would think you are allright if you set up the preload such that you can fairly easily spin the diff inside the bearings with everything torqued like it should be, and with the proper backlash. If you bearing preload is to light, then the diff will shift inside the bearing races and give you non-repeatable backlash (spin the diff and try and rock it back and forth between readings).

I am sure there is some "spec" or technique to getting the right setting, but someone else will have to pipe up and give it to ya. KC???

Billster

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Rover carrier setup!!

Ok, so you have a 3rd with a properly set up pinion, now you need to set up the carrier. This is what you do. Place the carrier with new bearings (hopefully) into the 3rd member. Lightly turn the cap bolts in just to take up slack. Turn the spanner nut on the tooth side of the ring gear out just untill you start to see threads. Now turn in the spanner on the back side of the ring gear, untill you reach absolute zero backlash. The spanner nut must be capable of locking with the cap pin, so turn in or out untill you line up with one of the spanner holes. New bearings can be turned in a bit, but if you have old bearings, it would be best to back off, but this is a judgement call.. Just try to maintain zero backlash. Now, turn in the tooth side spanner, untill you acheive the desired backlash. This will set up the backlash, and the desired bearing preload. Tighten the cap bolts, lock down both spanner nuts, and pattern. This is the official Land rover setup.

Have fun!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks KC --- I'll give it a shot ......& yes, they are new bearings...

Bill or KC --- either one of you may have input on this.... Bill, what did you set your backlash to on your gears? I'm installing the same 4.75 HDs from GBR. Should backlash be set to LR specs (4-7 if I'm recalling the manuel correctly) or is Bill's (at GBR) recommendation of 10 the way to go? Or, should I just set backlash to run a good pattern & then just measure it for 'kicks'?:confused:
T

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm still slacking Troy

... I still have your 24 spline diff guts sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be set into my old 10 spline housing....

Thanks for those steps KC. Any other golden nuggets for this diff set-up newbie ? Any tips to get the right pinion heigth the first time ?

JB

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I would set them up just like Bill recommends. The gears are different than the LR gears sets and are cut differently. Bill can also tell you what pinion shim will give you correct pinion height (or at least close). Mine are setup about 7 or 8 thousandths and seem okay. But he says that the LR recommended backlash is too tight for his gears.

Billster

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
a trick for checking pattern is to run a bead of grease (I use a synthetic white lithium) down the middle of the ring as you are turning the pinion. If the grease squashes right, well you get the idea.

j

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
when changing from LR gears to GBR gears, remove the largest shim for the preload, and this should put you almsot perfect, and as for height, as long as you are in the 4.11-4.75 gear range, you should not have to change the height. But thats not set in stone. As for backlash, yes anything under 5 is way to tight for GBR gears. try anything in the 5-10 range, but I would shoot for about 6-7, to keep the slop down on the rover drive train. 10 is really way to much, and will lead to load gears. I have setup to many GBR gears to count, and have never had a loud gear set, and I regularly come in at about 6-7 backlash.

To much backlash will lead to broken teeth. Keep in mind, that the pinion will try to deflect away from the ring gear, so backlash increases as torque is applied to the gearset. So a slightly tighter gear set is desirable. Any one that set up there gears 10+ deserves to have broken ring gears.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. A :beer: on me at CC. The fronts now done and part of the rear got done this evening. Maybe she'll be driveable by the weekend...:grinpimp:
T

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just another thanks for the help ..... got the rear diff finished and took her for a drive this evening .... no vibes or anything. Now for the rest of the stuff ....
T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.