Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stock YJ caster is 5.3 deg to 7.3 deg, with a SOA I should increase that caster slightly right?

I have heard that 8-9deg is best for a SOA is that where I should shoot for when I set up the front axle?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Leave it at whatever it is now, that way it will not affect your on road characteristics, if you are going to cut and turn your knuckles 7 is the way to go. If yours is a part time 4x4 (231) it wont mater unless you come to a coast at 50 mpr in 4x4, then it will vibrate. The rear go as high as you have to but allow 1 for the springs sagging. This is off course if you are keeping your 30

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7.9deg is what it is set to now. I just had the alignment. it drives great on the road too. alot better than before. I have 44s front and rear and a dana 300.

my steering is set up real nice for on road driving but I think I am going to have to move my drag link further out on the arm to make it easier to drive off road.

here http://seth.homeunix.com:8081/test/jeep/blackjeep/front axle/soa/soa.html are some pics of it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Careful, if you move the arm to far out it wont be able to turn the tires all the way, your turning radius will suffer, especially depending on what type of axle you swapped in. So test test test and figure out what works for you

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea I already know it will but with the setup right now it requires to much force to turn the wheels. I need the length of a waggy arm but they are to flat and hit the sway bar (I tried one last night) and the dropped waggy arm is dropped to much and the drag link comes out LOWER than the tie rod.

go figure!!! I need the lenght of a waggy arm, and the drop of a stock YJ arm!

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I just tossed the sway bar after my SOA. It's not as tipsy as with the 4" SUA and I don't drive slalom any more.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no offence but I think you are pretty damn crazy! 4" springs don't flex nearly as much as stock flat springs. I think everyone can agree with that. I wouldn't drive my jeep with out sway bars with the 4" springs over 30mph

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Just lose the sway bar. You won't notice a difference and it isn't tipsy. I can hang the ass end out on my Jeep at 30 mph and it just powerslides :D, not tipsy at all (no swaybars, SOA)

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
bigdude said:
Just lose the sway bar. You won't notice a difference and it isn't tipsy. I can hang the ass end out on my Jeep at 30 mph and it just powerslides :D, not tipsy at all (no swaybars, SOA)
He didn't mention that his axles are about 10' wide too! :flipoff2:

Full width on a fairly stiff spring makes a lot of difference.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
rkcrawl said:

He didn't mention that his axles are about 10' wide too! :flipoff2:
So that would make your jeep about 9' 6" wide :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
GaJeep94YJ said:
no offence but I think you are pretty damn crazy! 4" springs don't flex nearly as much as stock flat springs. I think everyone can agree with that. I wouldn't drive my jeep with out sway bars with the 4" springs over 30mph
I just drove 120 miles each way at 70+ mph to go wheeling Saturday. I had my wife with me, and believe me when I say that if this thing were dangerous (OK, more dangerous than the wheeling we do), I wouldn't do it with her in the Jeep. I don't swerve suddenly, and I leave plenty of room in front of me for the idots on the road, but it's overall road manners are just fine. Did I mention the track bars are history as well?
If you're that worried about road manners, maybe a Lexus 470 is the 4X4 for you. After all it IS "Four Wheeler Of The Year" :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Shoot for 6-8* and that will be fine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
withamc said:

I just drove 120 miles each way at 70+ mph to go wheeling Saturday. I had my wife with me, and believe me when I say that if this thing were dangerous (OK, more dangerous than the wheeling we do), I wouldn't do it with her in the Jeep. I don't swerve suddenly, and I leave plenty of room in front of me for the idots on the road, but it's overall road manners are just fine. Did I mention the track bars are history as well?
If you're that worried about road manners, maybe a Lexus 470 is the 4X4 for you. After all it IS "Four Wheeler Of The Year" :flipoff2:
yea I could drive forever an not ever have a problem and that is with out sway bars. but I don't put safty things on myjeep (like the cage) for my driving. I do it for the other people on the road. mainly like the ones that pull out in front of you. you can't control them and then you better swerve.

BTW: I was the guy who had a honda pull out in front of him a while back. my jeep did three barrell rolls BEFORE it touched the gound again. then rolled for another 475 feet after that. end over and and side over side. I don't remember it b/c I got knocked out. but when I woke up I still walked away and with only a "little" cut on my head.

pics here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96813

more pics here:
http://seth.homeunix.com:8081/test/jeep/Wreck/wreck.html

PS: look how straight the cage still is after the wreck.

BTW: he pulled out in front of me, I was doing 65mph+ and he was doing 50mph+ hit head on.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Well, I guess that says something for using the stock roll bar as a basis for a cage.
And my SOA YJ on flat springs/SRS without a sway bar almost has better road manners than my 4" SUA non-SRS YJ did with a sway bar. Not quite, but close.
Back to the original issue - if you move your drag link further out you're gonna lose turning radius. Better to get a stronger pump/PS box.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts