Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really love the 59-60 truck/travelall bodystyle. what was the biggest truck offered in that era? anything worthy of a DT466 transplant to become the ultimate tow rig?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
9V said:
i really love the 59-60 truck/travelall bodystyle. what was the biggest truck offered in that era? anything worthy of a DT466 transplant to become the ultimate tow rig?
The biggest truck with that bodystyle would be a B-180, about 26,000lbs GVW. Any bigger and you got into the R-liner cab.
B-180 would easily take a 466. I'd think about starting with a newer Loadstar or S-series truck, then putting the B cab on. Easier to get parts for that way.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and you didnt take it?

are there any good sites for reading up on the heavier duty B series IHs from those days? i tried google and cant seem to find much.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
hears a budies tow rig, has an IH 345 4speed and 2 speed rear axel he got it for somthing like $200.00 cnd

a friend up the roead has the same thing only his is a 63 IIRc and its 4wd the tranfercase on the thing is bigger then my computer desk :eek:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
basically what i want to do eventually is have a B180 series 4x4 travelall with a DT466:D

suggestions?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Start with a 70's Loadstar or early S-serries with the 466. You might be lucky and find a 4x4 model. Find an A,B or C series Travelall body with a smashed front clip. I'd find an old T'all ambulance or school bus, the extra 24" of WB would keep it from looking so awkward, plus it's more stable for towing. Add your B-160/70/80 front clip. Move the rad. forward and use a sledge against the T'all firewall.
Measure and cut your frame to suit the WB and total length. Then you've just got to either find a 15K rear axle set for single tires or figure out how to add un:rainbow: dually flares to the back.

You'll need to either agspec the motor or do some tricky stuff for the tranny to make it much of a towrig, though. I drive a Diamondlogic DT466 and Eaton Super 6 in my work truck. Not nearly enougth gears when you gross 27k+ You can't have a two speed rear & 4wd, so perhaps a "light duty" 8 speed Roadranger.
The agspec motors have a little more sheer torque, but are very dirty emissions wise, and redline a little lower then the OTR motors.

Anything else?

Matt

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn if im going through all that work ill just get an 80s crew cab big IH truck with a DT 466 and make it 4x4:D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Adam check with your local utililities companies and the local railroads. There are a great many trucks like you describe prebuilt and waiting for somebody to use them.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That **** said:
Adam check with your local utililities companies and the local railroads. There are a great many trucks like you describe prebuilt and waiting for somebody to use them.
funny you mention railroads...

what actually brought me on to this old thing was talking to a friend of mine that had a 59 travelall that was custom ordered by a railroad company. it was 4x4 with a 308 6 cyl and i guess rockwells with 2" shafts!

if i could find one of these that would be awesome, then all i would have to do is make it diesel :D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hell for now i would just pick something like that up and beat the shit out of it for a few years then throw it away! hehehe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts