Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up w/ any trick ways to mount a CB antenna on a 4Runner that works w/ the hard top on? I enjoy winter and summer weelin' and it's nice to be able to easily communicate w/ the group your with. I haven't been able to find a mounting place that doesn't interfere w/ trees or dragging my rig on it's side over some rocks. I hate those magnetic based jobs but is there some low profile antenna that actually works?
Does anyone use CB's anymore? I've looked over a lot of pictures and haven't seen many antennas. What's the deal? CB's are a great way to talk on the trail.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I use a Mag base (cheap Radio Shack) stuck to the rear wheel well next to the rear bar. Works fine for me. And it works top on or off (tops just fiber glass after all) and it doesn't get knocked off by trees.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
CBs suck. FM is the only way to go.

Lots of folks are dropping the CBs in favor of the Family Radio Service radios. You can get one for $10 at walmart.

And no big floppy antenna.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Alabamatoy said:

Lots of folks are dropping the CBs in favor of the Family Radio Service radios. You can get one for $10 at walmart.

what is that?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alabamatoy said:

have you actually used those hand-helds? do you bring a big bag
of batteries with you? so can change them every 3-4 hours

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hmmmm..

FRS = 1/2W output, 14 channels
CB = 5W output, 40 channels

CB has better range and power.

If you really want good communication, you want ham radio. 50W+ (up to 1500W, not that you need that much) plus repeaters if any are available. 2M and 70CM (440Mhz) are the most popular bands for mobile, but there are a lot more to choose from if everyone in the group has the right gear. Requires a license, but it's easy to get one.

As for mounting CB antennas, I'm planning to use a simple mount that connects to the fender in the crack for the hood. Then a spring so the antenna can flex in the trees and such. My 2M/70CM antenna will be mounted much the same way without the spring, it's short enough that it shouldn't be a problem. My club is all CB now, I want the ham gear for emergencies or if others join up that use it. I don't see any need for FRS in my case.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
i and everyone i wheel with use ;cbs id imagine that the best way for the runner would be a mag base antenna

·
Registered
342 Posts
I welded a tab to my rear bumper. Keeps the antenna low. Works great.

FRS radios are ok for what they are. Too much "Family" though. Always seems like some dumb kid on your channel pressing the call button. Batteries last a LONG time in my Motorola. About 30 hours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For me its mag mount mount and four footer. Hard mounts are nice, but in th NW I,ve bent them and broken antennas. With the mag mount on top of my truck, when I get into brush it just falls into the bed. So far no problems, also its super simple to tranfer to another rig.

Scott

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I personally perfer to carry both. I have been out on the trail before where 2 guys have CB's and 2 have FM's.. kidna nice to know what everyone is doing...

Also been out where the group i was with only had cb's, or they only had fm's...

I also use my scanner in a pinch.

Garrett

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
How About:

" Secret/Hidden Mobile CB Antenna Order On-line!
Cat# HID $26.95
This unit turns your vehicle into a full-performance mobile CB antenna. AM/SSB operation on all channels. Easy installation, shipped with instructions, 18’ cable, all wire, connectors & hardware needed. Won’t interfere with AM/FM radio reception. Everything’s inside the vehicle. "

Hese's a Link

Also, "Heartland America" had a blowout on a FRS radio with built in GPS unit for $119 recently, dont know if they have any left.. and if your buddy has one, it even locates his position & shows it on the GPS screen relative to yours...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
ttabbal said:
Hmmmm..

FRS = 1/2W output, 14 channels
CB = 5W output, 40 channels

CB has better range and power.
You obviously dont know shit about RF. Have you ever used FRS? Prolly not.

I have gone on MULTIPLE wheeling trips with one set of 4 AAA batteries. A CB is AM, which means you may be able to talk to Guatemala, but not your bud 1 mile away. Do you know what tropospheric tunneling is? That's what causes you to hear all the gibberish on the CB. Childrens Banders call it "skip".

FRS is 22 channels, not 14. Plus, the better units have PL tones to allow multiple conversations on the same freq.

Most CBs put out nowhere near 5 watts, and the common shit CB antennas gobble up the power. Especially if you are off on SWR. I read somewhere that .2 SWR increase is a loss of 3 dB which is nearly cutting your ERP in half.

Talk to me about radio, dude.

KE4KUZ

1 - 20 of 29 Posts