Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was as my local metal place picking up some stuff for another project when I started looking through the rack of DOM. Found a piece that was 1.5" OD and just over 7/8" ID (less then 15/16). So I purchased 42" of it for 30$.
When I got home I made this.

(photo editing: I thought that changing the background in PS would help the TR stand out.)

before you ask, Yes I cut the end of an arm and welded it to the tie rod. :laughing:
Its not really tech, but thats a pretty sturdy TR for cheep :D

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Why put that on there and then go back to the puny rover ends. You could have just tapped it and ran some big ford or chevy stuff. Now it just looks funny :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Buckon37s said:
Why put that on there and then go back to the puny rover ends. You could have just tapped it and ran some big ford or chevy stuff. Now it just looks funny :flipoff2:
Well that would have blown the $30 budget now wouldn't it. :flipoff2:

-Jeff

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buckon37s said:
Well from the other thread no one has any issues with the TRE itself.
I didn't need to retaper anything so no need to purchase a reamer.
No need to purchase L&R handed 7/8" taps.
Plus I have 4 of each thread TRE (couple still in plastic) as back up.

If in the future I find that they are not strong enough I can grind off the end bead, drill to 1", and weld in some inserts.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Looks like the one I made but I used some material from spidertrax that was 1.25 OD and did not weld a arm onto it.

Good work. :flipoff2:

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SeaRover said:
has anybody bent the knuckle using the bigger TRE's?
My end plan is to get BCB knuckles and make hi arms for them. At that time I will probably go to larger TREs.
Until then I have never had any issue with the stock ones. I made the rod it self stronger because I moved it from behind the axle to the front. And it really was cheep.

Pete

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PTSchram said:
As they are cast, I'd expect it to break before it bent.
They sure are hard as all can be. Burned up a couple sawzall blades getting that arm off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts