Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a power steering gear box for my TJ, the box i put in it is from a 98 durango 4x4 with the 318 V8, that is why i am asking here, plus the jeep guys dont seem to know,

everything went smooth after i broke the 1st pitman arm puller, i get box done fill reservoir and found this one leaks worse then my old one, so i take it back, get another new durango box and put it on, no leaks but it isn't centered, now i know the pitman arm can only go on one way and same with steering shaft so how do i adjust it? what i mean by not centered is it takes one an a third turns from"center" to full lock on left side and one and 2/3s from "center" to full right lock, there is an adjustment Allen head bolt on top but i wana make sure that will work 1st, and yes when driving straight the steering wheel is straight, this is really hurting my full left turns, although right turns on a dime

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Don't mess with the jamb nut/screw deal, that has nothing to do with what you want. The only way to center it is to set the box at center and make your steering shaft and pitman arm line up by filing out the master spline or whatever is needed to get them back on straight.
Travis..

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
adjust your drag link and live with a crooked wheel or file out the master spline and move the pitman arm a notch or two and everything should be great. The nut on top sets backlash and essentially preload due to the tapered gears.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
Did you center the box before you hooked up the steering column?

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
Not sure on his, but my Dakota column has a BIG flat spot in the splines where the lock bolt is and will only fit one way.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i ran into this problem when i did the wj steering. the wj pitman arm wasn't keyed like the tj one was. i filed down the master spline on the pitman arm and installed it one or two splines over where i needed it to be.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
I'm guessing that since he's putting it in a TJ that maybe the stock orientation of the pitman arm isn't the same, or when he installed the box he didn't rotate the shaft lock to lock, count the number of turns, then center the box (number of turns/2) before hooking up the steering column.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the first box i got came centered, the new box was not, and yes i turned the wheel lock to lock to make sure the wheel was centered, i ended up taking the input shaft off and turning the wheel one complete turn to the left and put it back on, and now everything is fine

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is a good idea to tie the steering wheel in place when changing the steering box on a TJ. There is a "clockspring" in the steering wheel that maintains connections to the airbag that can be damaged by "spinning" the wheel too many times with nothing to stop it on the other end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts