Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weld says their rims are forged T6-6061 billet AL. Centerline says theirs are "rotary forged" and (on their www site anyway) dont seem to say what AL alloy they use. Question is, which are better/stronger rims? Does Weld use a different forging process? if so, is it fundamentally better/worse? or just different?

j

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
both wheels will work great just the fact that they are forged aluminum and not cast, pick one that tickles you and run it.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
You have the big bucks to buy Weld rims?

I hate your guts. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have a set of 16x10 welds that I love. They look good and are strong as hell. Only thing is if you care about looks, hope you like polishing! They are actually for sale now.

·
Registered
54,555 Posts
aluminum bends easily i just had a weld rim bent back into shape it was for my bros buddy who hit a curb just a little hard :D maybe not the best idea for a trail rig just my .02

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wanna run big tires for my drivetrain and to help my axles withstand the abuse I wanna run a very light wheel/tire combo. I'm gonna run Iroks and some kind of forged AL rim. I dont have the $ for spendy rims at the moment, but this is a long term project, so its all good. :D

AFA polishing goes, fawk it... if they gimme too much trouble I'll just paint em flat black. lol!

j

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I don't think you are going to save much weight with either welds or center lines, both of these companies build heavy duty wheels and they use some thick ass aluminum. I was shocked at how much they weighed! I do know 2 people who have been running center lines because they didnt want to spend the cash on welds and both sets of wheels have been beat up pretty damn good and are still holding up great. I would run Center Lines with out any worries after seeing how gouged out their wheels are and they are still straight and seem to hold a bead very well.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll have to get some specific #s I guess... if there isnt much weight savings at all, why not just run cast rims. If they are beadlocks, the little lip that tends to get broken off on rocks will be reinforced anyway. The whole rig is gonna weigh under 2500lbs, so I dont need a 3500lb per wheel load capability or anything...

j

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
If your going beadlocks I don't see why cast rims wouldnt work. Like you said you don't need a super HD wheel and you are reinforcing/replacing the weakest part of the wheel.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, this is a good thing i guess... save me big $$$$ over some bling bling forged AL stuff. :D

j

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
NE-RokToy said:
If your going beadlocks I don't see why cast rims wouldnt work. Like you said you don't need a super HD wheel and you are reinforcing/replacing the weakest part of the wheel.
Beadlocks only reinforce the outer wheel lip, the inner is still suseptable to cracking/bending. I bent the inner lip on my steel wheel last time at Paragon, at least with steel it can be easily fixed with a hammer.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Wouldn't cast aluminum rims prove to be a hassle to weld on the inner ring for bead locks? I'm thinking melt city. And doesn't cast anything have less strength to handle a thread tap which would make stripping beadlock bolts easier?

Jekbrown, you might first talk to folks who covert wheels to beadlocks to check if cast AL would take a beadlock ring well. Unless you've found such a wheel pre-made.

And don't cast AL wheels crack when stressed instead of just bending like forged AL or steel? IIRC, such cracks are not field fixable.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, Im not sure about the beadlock conversion... but Trailreadys and Walker Evans AL beadlocks are cast... aren't they? Do they even make their own wheels or are they just adding beadlock capability to someone elses?

j

1 - 13 of 13 Posts