Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the chain drive cases holding up with built Taco's, especially with a doubler? Just curious if the planetaries are holding up to larger tires and the abuse of serious off-roading.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Since the guy who owns my last Taco doesn't post here much, I'll update everyone on what's going on with it :grinpimp:

Setup: V6, 5 speed, Marlin adapter dual cased with 4.7's in front of a stock Taco 23 spline transfer case, D60/14 bolt, 5.38's on 40's. Had no problems with the input shaft breaking or any problems at all really but just recently he split the case. I'm convinced the case is the weak point on them but I have seen some broken input shafts.

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the guy who owns my last Taco doesn't post here much, I'll update everyone on what's going on with it :grinpimp:

Setup: V6, 5 speed, Marlin adapter dual cased with 4.7's in front of a stock Taco 23 spline transfer case, D60/14 bolt, 5.38's on 40's. Had no problems with the input shaft breaking or any problems at all really but just recently he split the case. I'm convinced the case is the weak point on them but I have seen some broken input shafts.
That's the kind of info I was looking. Maybe somekind of reiforcement plate to take some flex out of the case housing?

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
Supercharged 3.4, Auto, 2.28 in front of rear chain case. Works great going to and from the mall. :flipoff2:

I'm on my 2nd rear case, though. First case appears to have been assembled with the splines dry. Water (?) got into the cases and had all sorts of rust and spline damage on the rear case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
06 taco fj twin stick &marlin crawler 4.7 gears

i have an 06 tacoma with a fj case anda marlincrawler4.7 holding up verywell for last year . wyatt has had his for i think 7 years he is on 41 iroks check it out rocksolidtoys forum

·
Registered
789 Posts
i have an 06 tacoma with a fj case anda marlincrawler4.7 holding up verywell for last year . wyatt has had his for i think 7 years he is on 41 iroks check it out rocksolidtoys forum
This is the setup I am putting together for mine. I saw the 4.7s on sale from Marlin this weekend and bit the bullet. Anyone ever do a side by side on the different gen chain drive cases?

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
The Tacoma we built, last I knew had not broken the case, and was still out running. 2 years ago I was told it had broken 2 9" diffs. I broke a 9" ARB case, and several driveshaft ujoints with it. No issues with the case, 4.7's in front of the tacoma case.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Not a Taco, but I had a Tundra with a 2.28 Inchworm box with a chain case. I stripped the input on the chain case and the output on the crawl box (fretting, possibly my error on the install) the 1st time it broke. Second time the crawl box gears were all sheared off for the most part but the chain case was fine.

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where it broke was right above the front output, not really anywhere you can add reinforcement plates to take the flex out.
I was thinking something like a FROR t-case mount plate that would use the rear cover bolt pattern and I would bet strengthen the case and maybe reduce flex.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Spun two bearings on a 4:7 doubler, I've never had an issue with the T-case itself, aside from plowing the front axle/driveshaft through the back of it (driver error).

I was thinking something like a FROR t-case mount plate that would use the rear cover bolt pattern and I would bet strengthen the case and maybe reduce flex.
If you're going to go this route (which is a good idea, Brian makes great parts, and the customer service is excellent) make sure everything works together/flexes the same. If the motor/tranny has more movement than the case you WILL break shit if you're 'wheelin hard. Make sure your motor mounts are in good shape or chain them bitches just like you would a 22R/RE/RTE.

Edit: Set-up. 3RZ, Marlin 4:7 doubler (MC-09 R10), V6 23 spline case (stronger than the 26 spline) H/P 8" third wrapped in a Diamond front, "8.4" wrapped in a Diamond rear.

·
W6FTW
3,822 Posts
Supercharged 3.4, Auto, 2.28 in front of rear chain case. Works great going to and from the mall. :flipoff2:

I'm on my 2nd rear case, though. First case appears to have been assembled with the splines dry. Water (?) got into the cases and had all sorts of rust and spline damage on the rear case.
That isn't rust, it's fretting.

I had a older inchworm doubler that had a single row bearing. The splines fretted and almos stripped out within a matter of about 2 years (truck is also a DD)

Current is a doubler with the double row, 4.7 gears and no fretting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

I had a older inchworm doubler that had a single row bearing. The splines fretted and almos stripped out within a matter of about 2 years (truck is also a DD)

That happened with my old inchworm adapter also.

·
Registered
34,181 Posts

Had fretting on the splines, of course. Had rust in the crawl box. But who cares, really....splitting hairs

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wasn't necessarily going to use the ring for a mount just to reinforce the case. Either way that idea seems like it would make the rear housing stronger, but that may or may not be a consistent failure point.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
If you're going to go this route (which is a good idea, Brian makes great parts, and the customer service is excellent) make sure everything works together/flexes the same. If the motor/tranny has more movement than the case you WILL break shit if you're 'wheelin hard. Make sure your motor mounts are in good shape or chain them bitches just like you would a 22R/RE/RTE.
You bring up a good point! I believe the new owner of my old Taco has stock motor mounts still. And when I sold it, it had a FROR transfer case mount. That would put stress on the case more than anything.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts