Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine has been making a knocking noise for a while! So i i took the valve cover off to see if it was the timing chain. Everything looks O.K. but wtf do i know. One thing i did notice is that the driver side guide will move a lot if i push on it, it looks like the top bolt that holds it on isn't doing anything.
Is this what my noise is coming from?

Pleas help!!

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been putting water inn every 2 weeks and i cant find any leaks. I drained the oil and it looked fine, so im hoping the cover is ok but where is the water going??

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oatmeal said:
Oh, and the chain guide on the drivers side has an obolong shaped top hole and a shouldered bolt so, it will move some (it pivots on the bottom bolt) is that the movement you're seeing? It's normal.......Hans
I looked at some pictures of a stock guide and its an actual hole, on mine its like a half of a hole like it broke. (does that make sense?)Also i have no idea what piston slap is. I would just hate to do all this work for nothing!!!

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The engine has 120k on it. The oil presure seems to be ok on the gauge. The knocking noise is loud upon start up and after it warms up you can hear it at about 3000 rpms. Is there a way i can check to see if its a rod knock for sure?

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So i did a compresion check and came up with 165 ish on the front 3 cylinders and 150 on the 4th. Does this mean that i should take the head off? ( I couldnt check it with the engine warm cause its halfway apart) does that matter?

Also anyone have any ideas on how to get the crank pulley bolt off without air tools. I tried to use a breaker bar and the starter, but im pretty sure the starter took a $hit on me cause it wont turn over!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.