·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We use them in all of our builds. They work fine for dd or trail stuff. Definitely not KOH stuff.
How are you mounting them?
I've found some reviews from car/hot rod guys. They seem to cool just fine with sufficient fans, some have had figment issues because of tweaked radiators. There's a lifetime warranty against leaks or fitment problems.
I won't be running Hammers anytime soon, but it'll see plenty of red trails...
Any other reviews or experience is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
A "summit racing" brand aluminum radiator is better.
Champinion just uses small tube sizes. (5/8), a real aluminum radiator uses 1"-2" tubes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Complete junk. I had one that was advertised to cool 800ph or something ridiculous it wouldn't cool a stock 302. Have a buddy that had one and it leaked out of the box. If you want cheap go with a summit special. There made by northern and have served me well.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have a 3 core in our 78 fj40 with a mildly built 350. It worked ok, but nothing near what I expected. Got hot in stop n go traffic, so its a no go for trail use. Added a simple shroud, but have yet to test it. I doubt it will help much. It bolted right in the stock location which was nice.
Friend has the 4 core with a stock gm 350 and it gets hot doing mild trails, fire roads.
For heavy trail use, I would go with another brand with bigger tubes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Junk. They say lifetime warranty or whatever, but they charge you $60 plus if I remember right for shipping. I went thru two of them due to the flexing of the frame of a mild TJ which causes the thin material to twist and spring a leak. Do it right and do it once. Changing out radiators due to shoddy build quality and paying $60 to ship back and forth on a routine basis gets old real quick. Not to mention downtime. My experience was over about an 8 Month period with very mild crawling.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How are you mounting them?
I've found some reviews from car/hot rod guys. They seem to cool just fine with sufficient fans, some have had figment issues because of tweaked radiators. There's a lifetime warranty against leaks or fitment problems.
I won't be running Hammers anytime soon, but it'll see plenty of red trails...
Any other reviews or experience is appreciated!
We just tig some tabs where we need em.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starting to think that the cheap way may not be the way to go...
I'm open to other ideas. I'm trying to cool a mild sbc in my CJ buggy and would like to stay away from the high end race-guy go-fast radiators. I can't see spending $500+ on a part that can get FUBARed by a small stick...
I'll start saving my pennies for a middle of the road brand.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Call Tim at liquid iron. You'd be surprised how not expensive a CBR with a fan is.
I'll try giving him a call, but their website had 2 models to choose from and this is the cheaper one

Ouch!

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
I went thru two of them due to the flexing of the frame of a mild TJ which causes the thin material to twist and spring a leak. .
I don't disagree with your quality assessment in the least but the cause is not the TJ grill shell if you mounted it in the stock location. You can't twist a TJ grill shell under even pretty severe conditions enough to hurt a radiator due to the way it's constructed and mounted. It is a rigid shell and it's not solid mounted. It pivots on one mount under the center and easily compressible snubbers under the corners.

The radiator probably failed because it isn't strong enough to withstand the weight of the liquid in it bouncing around.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
I had bought one for my TJ. It worked great for awhile. Once I started DDing it it only lasted about 4 months before it started leaking. I called them about the warranty and what do you know it is out of stock. IT will be 5-6 weeks to get some in. I had to pay for shipping to get it to them they test it and determine if it something hit it etc. I ended up just buying a stock replacement. I can have me DD down for 6 weeks. The fit was OK for cheap. It looks like the brackets were cut out by a 4 year old with a plasma.

My buddy just bought one for his 67 chevy truck. It looks a whole lot nicer than the ones for the TJ. The only issue he had was when he put the tranny cooler lines in the bung striped pretty easy.

Brandon

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I'll try giving him a call, but their website had 2 models to choose from and this is the cheaper one

Ouch!
Those are the bigger ones with dual fans for rear mount applications. A 31x19 wont fit up front on your rig. Call and ask for a 22 or 24x19 with a single fan, that will be much cheaper and will cool your SBC no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
336 Posts
What size radiator are you looking for?

Summit 31x19 and volvo 2 speed fan works out pretty well with some small extensions on the volvo shroud.

The best cheap/junk yard combo I know of is a northern 31x16 and a dodge intrepid fan. Intrepid fans fit the 31x16 perfect, have nice mounting tabs, and the hd cooling version are low profile and they pull more air than the volvo or taurus fans.

Here's the intrepid fans w/ dimensions:
http://www.carid.com/1998-dodge-intrepid-engine-cooling-parts/replace-dual-fan-assembly-6893167.html

Note: The hd cooling version has more blades than the one pictured. I think 1993 to 1997 are the years to look for. Dimensions are the same as the one pictured I realize the one pictured is 1998 and up...

Also, the volvo 2 speed with shroud will likely fit a narrower radiator with some trimming if you're not looking for a 31 width.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts