Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

New problem...I added the fluid to the engine the best of my ability to guess and now there is approx. 7.5 quarts of trans. oil in the transmission.
The vehicle has been running idle just fine with the manual throttle control next to the steering wheel. But, as I added the fluid to the transmission little by little, the engine idling became rough about 10-15 minutes later and then eventually stalled out.
Now it doesn't want to start! I wait about 5-10 minutes and try to start it and gives a big voom and sputters unconscious again.
The longer I wait the better the chance that the car would stay alive. It actually did start and ran rough for about a minute.
Another note too is that there is a light on the automatic shifter that says "AT oil temp" I think, that is lit up red.
Does that mean anything?
Question to myself is I'm thinking that the trans. oil is filled too much. Could be a possibility? If so, I'll drain some out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this thing started again. It ran fine before I added the extra quart and a half to the transmission.

Thanks.

chrisusvi

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
i don't think that the symptoms are related. sounds to me like you might have a fuel issue. either you're out of gas or the fuel filter might be plugging up with debris from the tank.

what was done to the trans that made you add fluid?

i assume we're talking about and fj62 or an fj80 since it's got an automatic transmission. the more info, the better.......

fwiw: if you put too much fluid in the trans, then it will "evacuate" thru the overflow/breather and you'll have a big mess under the rig. you won't "blow out" any seans or couse other damage to the transmission. those are common and unsubstanciated myths kept alive by people who don't know shit abut automatic transmission. :shaking:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I changed the trans. filter, so I need to refill with new fluid. It's an '88 FJ62 Land Cruiser with 84,000 miles on it.
THe fuel filter is brand new I just installed it, but the gas tank was empty at the time of install. I filled it with 5 gallons of fuel. I'm thinking that its not enough and is still sucking sediment up the fuel line still.
What do you thinking?

chrisusvi

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
This may sound stupid, but you didnt add ATF to the engine instead of the transmission did you? (seen that more than once)

Chris:cool2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good possibility. I used a funnel to pour the fluid into the trans. I may have pulled something. I'll check it.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sounds like a few problems? Ma bey low volts that's why it is running ruff or cold start injector? I had a problem once when I left the dip stick out of the motor and caused a vacuum leak and it ran ruff?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts