Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
4Runner----Truggy Build (lotsOpics)

So I've been working on a rebuild for some time now. Got allot done so far, but as the pics show, I'm not working in the best of locations, nor the greatest of tools... But I'm getting by....

These are the goals:
•Swap useless weight with functional weight
•Lower the over all height
•Get a 3rd seat in the back
•Narrow the tail and nose
•Keep my 107" wheel base
•build it with 40's in mind
•Boat Side it....
•get coilovers and 4 link in there as well

So I started off with my trusty 89 runner, with a leaky 22re. Your basic Cookie Cutter truck from many years ago. Duals/5.29s/spool(R)Detroit(F)First Run Longfeilds!!! and D/T lift...

As it sits with the tired Allpro 5" lift, 3" body and 37's. Together it makes it a TALL BITCH....

So I got started on the nose and tore into the motor....

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It took me a little longer then expected with the snow and having to set it back on the tranny by myself took about 2 hours with a bad seal in the hoist ram...

The motor is basic
I just added a new head and a Engnbldr cam, headman header(free)
I did however pull the AC pump (OBA) to loose the weight up front, later replacing it with electric in the back.
The Rad. was toast So I got a replacement from Summit for around $150

****I'll come back an fill in the part numbers and prices as soon as I gather all my invoices*****

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I worked on the little brackets and wiring for a while and needed to step a way for a bit and get some more VP done....

If you can't tell I live on the main drag here in town, so by now everyone knows me, and it actually draws positive interest....

So I bought a plasma here on Pirate.... Got it tried it, sent it back... Got it tried again... and?

Here's what 2 4" cutoff wheels gets ya....

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got after the body work.... I've never used bondo much if ever, So I figured what the hell! Wrong..... That crap sucks.... I had intentions of doing some sort of graphics, and all that crap. Being outside proved otherwise. Every time I'd shoot a section larger then a trashcan lid....It would start raining....
I sanded everything with 100grit first and primed it. Then sanded it again with 150 and then shot 2 coats of black... all spray paint. I would figure about $100 worth for the entire deal using Krylon... I'm not super happy with it, but it will work.

I was wondering if, after I clear coat it, would wax bring on issues or help any????

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So this is about the time where I was out having a few beers at the bar, and a really ditsy girl comes up to me and asked,
"What are you doing to your truck?"
-as many others through out this build have done....
Not sure why I did, but my response was
"Changin' the oil!!!"
-She replys...
"Really!, is that why it cost so much at grease monkey?"
-I keep it together for a response of
"Yep, it's these new cars now a days!!!

Never saw her again after that night???

So, that's where the thread title came from....

It's late, I'll get more up later... and try to fill in more specifics...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
im likin where this is headed, keep up the work.
Are you hangin fenders on the front? I like the tube work so far

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im likin where this is headed, keep up the work.
Are you hangin fenders on the front? I like the tube work so far
Yes at first... But the first one I messed with turned out like crap... and in the end they won't last all that long.... So No, however I have some ideas brewing for something different....
I've been working on the back for the last few weeks so not much done with the front.
Here I started the cage and back seat placement... trying to keep it a narrow as possible....

A/B pillars are 1.75 DOM and associated bracing, the rest is HREW 1.75 and 1.5

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got allot done in a few days and forgot to take pics, and I was finishing up well into the dark... so the pics are crappy. Cut the frame and was able to spin it around with a floor jack on the front axle... Casters KICKASS!!! And at the end of the night I can push it all back towards the house nice and tidy.... Well as best you can for 1/3 of a truck in a driveway.....

I had hell trying to keep access to the rear working around the easy (X) bracing that everyone else uses....

So Far this is all 1.75 tube, and not even close to complete....

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are a few of the cage progression. I wanted more lateral support on the B pillar, so this is what I can up with... a little heavy, but necessary. Figured about 4-5 extra feet compared to the (X) design.

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
that cage is sick, what size and where did you get the fuel cell
Thanks, It was a work as I go kinda thing.... Took several days of looking at it, stepping away for a while (Rain).... Measure, and then jack up a few feet of tube until you like it, and hit the numbers....I still see some weak areas, but I want to wait a bit before I change it.... Any thoughts???

15gal from summit I think it's 20x18x10 or damn near....

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I like those bio hazard corner braces.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
do you plan to do windshield bars down to the cowl bar through the hood? Do you think you could? I plan on doing a exo/intererior cage but hiding as much of the tube as possible including the cowl bar, so through the engine compartment like yours looks like the best route if you could notch the hood to get windshield bars down into it...

the corner gussets are bitchin too!:smokin:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
do you plan to do windshield bars down to the cowl bar through the hood? Do you think you could? I plan on doing a exo/intererior cage but hiding as much of the tube as possible including the cowl bar, so through the engine compartment like yours looks like the best route if you could notch the hood to get windshield bars down into it...

the corner gussets are bitchin too!:smokin:
I have tossed that idea back and fourth many times.... I'm now thinking of redoing the engine cage to look and function better.... So the short of your answer is yes they can be ran through the hood lip and even part of the cowl... I think I would only run 2 1.25" tubes. I put some 1.5 and 1.75 up for mock up and it was horrible to look at and through.... We'll see after I get it attached to the frame again....

I'm going to try this weekend (took Fri off) to solid mount the body and figure out the boatsides.... I'd like to lower it as much as possible because the way I bent my cowl bar it gets really close to the brake master res. even after some cutting on the tube....
I think I can get a tighter fit if I solid mount the body. I can't really take much more out of the hood framing... but after finishing the cut edges with 1/2" angle iron, it got pretty ridged again.

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I started the new floor and boatsides......

No real plan as of yet, just a good idea, we'll see!
I'll get more tomarrow, if the weather holds, I'd like to get them close to done.

enjoy, I'm going drinkin....

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got some goodies yesterday!!!!!
All the joints are from Ballistic
Uppers are 1.5 @ .25 wall
Lowwers are 2.0 @ .25 wall
With the link material x2 4' pieces of each size the total was around $520 shipped.

The brackets are BlueTourch, and I'm still waiting on the rear Diff guard and truss...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts