Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy wants to change to eight lug in his front D44. He has a 78 Bronco with a rear D70 and wants to match the 8 lug bolt pattern. I have the hubs off of a 3/4 ton front chev D44 and want to know if the bearing size is the same on the 78 Ford 1/2 ton front. If so I will just change the hubs over.

If the 78 Ford D44 has the small bearing spindles, what can I get the big bearing spindles off of?

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i would say try it, my budy chenged from 6 bolt D44 to 8 bolt on his suburban and all he ended up changeing was the hubs, the spindles were the same, i know your going from ford to chevy but might as well try it, it only takes a few mins.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Eric said:
Just get everything from the Chevy steering knuckle out. Knuckle, spindle, caliper bracket, hub, stub shaft, etc.

Alright Im hopeing not to stomp on you here, Im serching and found you.

Scout D44, I have the Chevy knuckles and spindles with the Ford rotor and hubs, Chevy calipers and brackets. I have a 5 bolt pattern now and need to change to the 8 bolt pattern. Can I just swap to a 8 bolt rotor/hub like the 78/79 Bronco and be done with it? Will it still work with my chevy set up?

What rims do I need to but from what truck to keep my 15 " tires. Thanks for you time

·
Registered
423 Posts
The spindle on the Ford D44 is shorter than the spindle on the Chevy D44.

You also can't just switch the spindles because the 78 Ford D44 uses 5 studs to hold the spindle to the knuckle in a bigger diameter pattern than the Chev D44 which uses 6 studs to hold the spindle to the knuckle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts