Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 CUCV K5 Blazer
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 Stock CUCV M1009 K5. I want to change out the Axle's. I have a 1993 2500 Diesel for donor parts. I want to change out the Rear Axle, but it's 8 lug and probably different gears. So what can I do about the front gears to get it to work. Current in front and back are 3.08:1 gears. I don't know the gears in the donor truck, and the front is IFS. So, Can I change out the wheel hubs from donor too?, and change out the front gears to match donor rear end? Any help please. Plus I have a lot of extra K5 CUCV random part. Was going to through them out, but will hold them if somebody needs some parts? Just ask, not looking for money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You should be able to get gears for the front axle that match the rear. Obvious first step to verify what gear ratio the rear has and go from there. And yes, you can swap the front axle from 6 to 8-lug with bolt on factory parts. Under the circumstances I would suggest finding a complete 10-bolt front axle that is already 8-lug with matching gears and bolt it in. Not sure what the availability of front 10-bolts are now in the junkyards since they haven't come from the factory for 30 years now but would think with a little searching would be able to find one (I swapped a D60 in the front of mine 15 years ago so haven't needed any 10-bolt parts for a long time). 3.08, 3.42, 3.73, and 4.10 were all factory available gears in the front 10-bolts.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
You should be able to get gears for the front axle that match the rear. Obvious first step to verify what gear ratio the rear has and go from there. And yes, you can swap the front axle from 6 to 8-lug with bolt on factory parts. Under the circumstances I would suggest finding a complete 10-bolt front axle that is already 8-lug with matching gears and bolt it in. Not sure what the availability of front 10-bolts are now in the junkyards since they haven't come from the factory for 30 years now but would think with a little searching would be able to find one (I swapped a D60 in the front of mine 15 years ago so haven't needed any 10-bolt parts for a long time). 3.08, 3.42, 3.73, and 4.10 were all factory available gears in the front 10-bolts.
This. I would actually just suggest finding either a matching 73-81/91 3/4 ton set or even a complete parts truck. It will be bolt in this way and no doing a gear swap. Around here you can still find complete parts trucks for a decent price if your patience.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your best bet is to find a set of axles out of a M1008, M1028 or M1031. The Dana 60 upfront will bolt right up. The 14 bolt you will have to move the perches. 8 lugs and 4.56 gears will be much nicer with a 6.2 & TH400.

I grenaded the 10 bolt on my M1009 about a month after going to 35s and putting a banks sidewinder kit on it. Upgraded to a 60/14 bolt and 37s.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Your best bet is to find a set of axles out of a M1008, M1028 or M1031. The Dana 60 upfront will bolt right up. The 14 bolt you will have to move the perches. 8 lugs and 4.56 gears will be much nicer with a 6.2 & TH400.

I grenaded the 10 bolt on my M1009 about a month after going to 35s and putting a banks sidewinder kit on it. Upgraded to a 60/14 bolt and 37s.

Doesn't sound like he is building it up that much. So probably no need for tons. 4:56 gears with stock or mildly bigger tires would suck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Doesn't sound like he is building it up that much. So probably no need for tons. 4:56 gears with stock or mildly bigger tires would suck.
4.56s with 37s and a 3 speed isnt awful with a 6.2. Helps it get out of its way a lot easier when coming from a dead start. The M1009 with 3.08s is anemic. Reminds me the 49 mercury I used to drive with the 3 on the tree and a flathead. I almost died at the hands of a semi every time I tried to merge on the freeway.

Tell you how far off center I am thinking upgrading to one tons was pretty mild.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts