Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like this is where the trailer gurus hang out, maybe you can help me with this. I've been building an expedition/offroad trailer for extended trips in my Cruiser and it's getting close to be finished, I'm trying to button up some of the last details.

I want to mount a battery on the trailer so I can have 12-volt access on it at the campsite, nothing too demanding in terms of amps, but I want to be able to run at least a light and maybe a 12-volt thermal blanket.

Here's the thing. I'm already running two batteries on the Cruiser, they're charged by the stock alternator via an isolator...

Where/how do I hook up the third battery, the trailer mounted one, so that it gets charged? I was thinking of running #0 wires with a rear bumper-mounted quick disconnect, but I wasn't sure if I should run it in parallel with one of the other two batteries (main + auxiliary), or if I should drop the isolator and run a dedicated multiple battery system?

If it matters, I run the winch and about half of my accessories off of the auxiliary battery, which is a deep cycle, and the rest of the accessories off of the main battery.

Thanks in advance, folks!

Here's a shot of the trailer, the little devil's consumed a lot of my time and $$$ and I want to finish it and USE IT!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Search online for how to wire up a 7 wire connector. That is what came factory on my 2000 F250. The center wire on it is a charge wire for charging something on the trailer. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
for what you want to do with it get a deep cycle optima and charge it after trips. i do this with dump trailers at work,once a week charge at 2amps overnite. my .02

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
DRM said:
Search online for how to wire up a 7 wire connector. That is what came factory on my 2000 F250. The center wire on it is a charge wire for charging something on the trailer. Hope that helps :)

NO! I disagree with you DRM, and I know I'm right! :p That will blow out your back-up lights, and possibly damage the switch at the tranny/ on the column/ where ever the hell that switch is that turns on the back-up lights...

The center wire is the back-up lights circuit. The number 4 terminal, on the top right, is the hot lead.

60seriesguy... Since you probably don't have a larger 6 or 7 wire plug on the back of your rig, you can wire one up real easy. If you go with a 6 wire plug, you can use the terminal marked "S", or the center pin for your hot lead. If you go with the 7 wire, it is the number 4 terminal. If you don't want a solid mounted plug, look for some of the 5 and 6 pin square plugs at the local RV dealer. 5 or 6 pin plugs are what they actually use on tent trailers.

To get power back there, I like to use 10 guage wire, and a 30 or 40 amp self reseting circuit breaker, as close to the battery as I can mount it. Run that back to the appropriate terminal. Run a 10 guage wire from the plug on the trailer up to the battery, and wire a 30 or 40 amp fuse, or another circuit breaker, inline.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
oops - I mixed up my 6 and 7 wire connectors :clown:

So sue me :p

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It so happens that I have a whole ROLL of the 7-connector wire sitting under the trailer, I already started to re-wire the whole thing by making a section of wire with two male connectors that will separate from both the trailer and the truck. I hadn't decided what I was going to use the individual wires, at least not beyond the 4 wire needed to keep the status quo. I might need one for a light under the truck, since I'm putting a propane tank under there.

So you think a 10-gauge wire (the white one in the center of the cable) is enough to charge a battery???

If I have a fully charged deep-cycle battery, will it last me a whole weekend of using a small light inside the tent and maybe an electric blanket on cold nights?

One more question now that I got distinguished folks like DRM on board (he, he!); I don't need big ass battery cable (for my second battery I used welding cable) to charge a battery on the trailer??

Gracias!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
7 gang trailer cord should have: white, blue, black, yellow, red, green, brown.... White, black, and blue should be larger guage wires. White probably is 10 guage, black and blue are probably 12 guage (or the black could be 10 guage also, but the blue will be 12 guage), and the rest are 14 or 16? The short run through the trailer with your power wire will be fine with 12 guage, but I would use 10 to get power to the back of the truck.

If you follow the color code that is listed on the back of the 7 way, that is refered to as "RV code". However, color doesn't mean anything... Everyone uses different colors to suit their needs, or whims... Function is what you want to follow. Make sure you have the correct wire doing the correct job when you wire up the plug.

If you follow the RV code, it will make life easier when you have to track down problems. If you ask anyone for help on your wiring (dealer, us, etc... doubt it will happen, but it could), they are going to assume that it is wired for RV color code, and you will have to spend alot of time getting the both of you on the same page if you use different colors. I would go ahead and use the RV code since it is a "tent trailer".

To follow RV code for color, by looking at the back of the plug, and their function:
1 white = ground
2 blue = brake
3 green = marker lights
4 black = 12v+
5 red = left turn and stop light
6 brown = right turn and stop light
7 is unmarked but will be the center pin, yellow = back-up lights

I don't know how fast a 12 volt electric blanket sucks down a battery, so I can't tell you how long your battery will last. I do know that with 15 or 16 low draw lights, a fridge, a 12 volt water pump, and 2 or 3 different detectors, that 2 group 24 deep cycle batteries will last for about three days. In other words this Sundowner Living Quarter trailer, without the high draw of the furnace fan running all the time, will last three days. If you watch how long you leave lights on, I don't think you will have a problem.

This 10 guage wire is going to keep a maintenance charge on your battery. For a seriously depleted battery, pull it off and put it on a battery charger. Between trips, pull the battery out and put it on a charger before you go on your next run.

Without an isolator, you will be drawing off of whatever power source you have the other end of this 10 guage wire hooked to. Without an isolator, and the trailer plugged into the truck, you will be pulling off of both batteries. You say you have two batteries on the truck, with an isolator already hooked up... I would pull off of your deep cycle battery on the truck to power your trailer. That way you do have two power sources instead of the one, and you will be seperated from the starting source of the truck... No chance of being left stranded.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
60seriesguy said:
If I have a fully charged deep-cycle battery, will it last me a whole weekend of using a small light inside the tent and maybe an electric blanket on cold nights?

Gracias!
our crews are running dump trailers,electric power hyd.pumps. 2-4k lbs when they dump debris,major draw on the battery. i only charge them once a week,sometimes when i forget they go 2 weeks on one charge. soooooooo i would say yes you can run your blanky;) .

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
run a 10 ga wire from the pos of your aux batt with a circuit braker or fuse that will keep your trlr bast charging when hooked to your rig then get a small solar panel with a two amp trickle and you won't have any problems. You can go to one of the rv boards like "IRV2" and there is all kinds of battery info over there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts