Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jst got some *bling* Sway-a-Way 14" shocks. There is a big ass red banner in the box that says that the shocks must be charged to 200 PSI.

How the hell do I do it? I emailed the vendor and have not heard back. What's the skinny?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
wngrog said:
I jst got some *bling* Sway-a-Way 14" shocks. There is a big ass red banner in the box that says that the shocks must be charged to 200 PSI.

How the hell do I do it? I emailed the vendor and have not heard back. What's the skinny?
If they are like my OME remote resiviour(sp) shocks, you can take them to a motorcycle shop(that sells dirt bikes) and they can charge them with Nitroge. FWIW mine are max 120psi.

Oh and don't call them and tell em they are on a 4x4.....just ask "can you recharge some remote shocks" then show up with em. I made the mistake of telling them they were on a Land Cruiser, they said we don't work on Toyota.....take it to the dealer! Finaly called someone I knew at a bike shop and he took care of me.

John H

·
Registered
877 Posts
Depending on weight you may want to figure out what pressure you want to run. You can PM me for more info. Yes your local moto. shop should have a Nitro tank and it should only cost $10.00 to $20.00 to get the both filled. I only run 135psi in my 14" sway a ways due to the fact that the nitro is only there to cool the oil in the shock. But since we are not running 120mph plus through the desert and need them to be fairly soft over the rocks you may want to play with the amount you use. Becarefull that if you try to release some it comes out very very fast.

Nick

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
XtremeEngineering said:
Depending on weight you may want to figure out what pressure you want to run. You can PM me for more info. Yes your local moto. shop should have a Nitro tank and it should only cost $10.00 to $20.00 to get the both filled. I only run 135psi in my 14" sway a ways due to the fact that the nitro is only there to cool the oil in the shock. But since we are not running 120mph plus through the desert and need them to be fairly soft over the rocks you may want to play with the amount you use. Becarefull that if you try to release some it comes out very very fast.

Nick
And if you try to check the presure using a normal air gauge.......just that little bit of air/nitro it takes is now ALL gone from the shcok....not that I know :emb4: I do believe the shock keeps working OK without any nitro.

John H

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
You definately need the resoviors to be charged. You can charge it with AIR but the internal parts will start to rust, that is why they use nitrogen.

CJ

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
most motorcycle shops will do it for next to nothing, but just take the shocks off the truck and walk in with them, since they need to be charged at full extension anyways!! As for PSI, 150-200 seems to be the norm, but I ma not familiar wiht how much it will affect things.

PS, the airport is a pain in the arse. That is where we get our Junk filled up, since we have some struts that require over 500psi

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Hey if you got the green to buy the shocks go to your local welding shop and buy a small bottle of nitrogen with a regulator. You shoud be able to buy both for less than 200.00. Think of the convenience.
Dan

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan Dibble said:
Hey if you got the green to buy the shocks go to your local welding shop and buy a small bottle of nitrogen with a regulator. You shoud be able to buy both for less than 200.00. Think of the convenience.
Dan
Damn, will I have to charge these things that much? $200 sounds like a lot of Nitro!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Puffdragon said:
PS, the airport is a pain in the arse. That is where we get our Junk filled up, since we have some struts that require over 500psi
I guess the airport I work at is different we weld stuff for local farmers and loggers and at times seems more like a motorcycle,snowmobile,and 4x4 shop than an aircraft mod shop :D

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I got all 4 of mine charged at the local dirbike shop for $10. Charged 'em to 190. I walked around back straight to the mechanics though instead of going through the service counter. They probably would have tried to charge me an hours labor rate or something.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
XtremeEngineering said:

Nick
I think I would love to hear the "nitro is only there to cool the oil" theory but probably not:rolleyes:

Call the manufacture and ask them what the lowest recommended pressure is. Everyone is giving you suggestions on what to run but you never even stated what size shock it is. 190 psi is the lowest recommended nitrogen pressure for the 9100 Bilsteins that I run (which is a 2.5" shock). If you vary pressure you will notice a difference but if you are varying pressure to get the ride the way you want it then you are doing it wrong. Get the shocks valved for the ride you want with the pressure being used for fine tuning for different situations.

Buying the bottle and regulator is the best way to go. It is not that expensive and you can set it up to run air tools and it comes real handy for reseating beads.

As far as charging the shocks off of the vehicle. This is needed to get the exact pressure but it normally makes install and removal a bitch. also if you are doing a trail repair and have to recharge the shocks are you going to take the shock off to charge them? I don’t. I charge all my shocks while they are on the vehicle. When I put 225 psi in the shock ( while mounted) I know that I can duplicate that pressure every time whether it is during a race, prerun or the trail without the downtime of removing the shock and then trying to install it again with it pressured up.

·
Vendor
3,744 Posts
Yeah, I would like to hear that theory too, but what you said is pretty much right on, but to add to it... The main reason for using the nitrogen is to keep positive pressure in the shock. When a monotube shock compresses, the pressure on the backside of the piston drops, if it drops below the vapor pressure of the shock fluid, the fluid will cavitate and foam up, then when the suspension rebounds, the piston is compressing the air bubbles instead of forcing fluid through the valves, so you get a dead spot. So the main idea of the nitrogen pressure is to keep all the fluid in the shock under pressure, so the hopefully you will not cavitate and aerate the fluid and the shock will work most effectively. Also all the seals in the shock need a positive pressure differential to seal most effectively, the pressure difference between the inside of the shock and the outside pressure makes the shock seals work. So with a rock crawler and mostly street vehicle, you dont need high pressure like an off-road race car does, but you do need a little, i would put at least 100 psi, and also tune the shock with the valving, not with the nitrogen, if you are tuning the shock with nitrogen, then your springs are wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts