Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is not hardcore, but I am chasing the 1k in my 98 Tahoe (Ok so it is KT's, semantics at this point). It is largely stock (headers, trailer brakes, xm and a deep tranny pan)

I am going to add some PIAA 580's to the front because driving in Baja after dark blows. I was miserable at the 500. (I may as well be legally blind at night) The only light bar I can find is an N-fab (they have no pics btw) which is setup for 3 8" lights. I am only going to mount 2 6"ers on the truck. I am probably going to make a bar, but I am looking for ideas. Nobody seems to use these trucks in the desert, likely due to the suspension.

Pics, ideas, anything?

Attachments

·
Rolling Mod
41,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I figure holes in the bumper are going to have to happen. On a few newer trucks I have seen kits that mount to the tow hooks. For this year, nobody seems to have anything. (ProComp does or did make one, but I am not crazy obout the way it looked)

·
Registered
757 Posts
could you make something that locks into your roof rack and extends forward to mount the lights/hold supplies?...(i don't know what the weight rating is though)

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
OK, here's what I would do, and what I did on my truck. Take a peice of 1.5" tubing, or whatever you have lying around and bend 2 45* angles in it, spaced far enough away that the lights will fit without looking all squeezed and stupid. Then cut the "legs" as short as possible so the bar is only a few inches higher than the bumper and angles far enough forward to give you clearence for the tabs and the back of the lights. Make the tabs that hold the lights stick backward far enough that there's a little buffer zone between the front of the bar and the front of the light, incase you need to lightly nerf somebody on the freeway, you won't break the lenses. Then just make some tabs out of .120 plate, or better yet .188 that sit on the bumper, use 2 bolts in each side with a backing plate to avoid ripping the bumper, paint it whatever color you want and wire as cleanly as possible. If you're really crafty you can run the wires through the tubing for extra stealth/bling factor.

I'll try and shoot some pictures tomarrow to show you what I'm taking about.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I would go buy/build a bar for the stock roof rack. Doesn't it have a stock horizontal bar on top that moves? You could use that and then add as many light mounts as you want.

For the bumper, you could see how much they want for a nasty one at a wrecking yard. Probably can find one for under 50 bucks because it is so common. Then weld some tube for light bars and add more lights.

Off road Unlimited sells stuff like baja bars and roof racks that will bolt right on. Thats another route. They do fullsize stuff so check em out I think. http://www.offroadunlimited.com/ProductCart/PC/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=1673

For lights, goto http://www.radtoyscentral.com/ and buy PN nv802c (6" Pilot Navigator off road spots). Basically kc 100w spotlights. glass lens, chrome body. shipped to my door they were under 20 bucks each. I have 12 of them and no problems at all. They work better then the more expensive ones I have. Just an FYI.

If you wanted to spend more money, you could get 55w(!!!!) HID bulbs/ballasts/ignitors in the same housings for under 200 bucks. Thats my next step.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Frank,

Randy Ellis makes all kinds of light bars for trucks. I checked out his website, but he did not list anything for your year. I would give him a call and see if he has one that is not listed. (Seems like your application would be popular) his site is www.randyellisdesign.com

Here is a pic of one of his bolt on light bars for a 2000 & up Tahoe.

Attachments

·
Rolling Mod
41,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys. I do not really want to mount the lights on the roof as I want to leave the lights on the truck and the truck still fits in the garage. Any gear rack will be removable.

Scott,

I tried Randy Ellis when I first started looking and he didn't have anything for my Tahoe. I may just do a simple flat bar with tabs similarly.

I do not want anything as large as what we put on the f-150.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts