Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually have 2 questions/request's.

Question 1: What suspension do you run on your chase rig? I have a 2003 Dmax and am wanting to put the right suspension on it to be able to chase and tow/haul still.

Question 2: What does your bed organization look like? I saw some super trick setups at the B1K this year but didn't get many pictures. Any help for idea's would be great.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
well i have a 06 ford, so the suspension's obviously different. but i had been running a pro comp 6in radius arm lift. and am switching over to 2.5in Coilover's on the front with different springs on the rear.

and 325/65/18 tires.

here's a picture of teh bed of my truck from the last race... and yes, those are RC cars back there... we did have a bit of slack time...

we have springs, steering, fuel, all fluids, driveshaft, shocks, CO2, Nitrogen, Beer, 4 wheels and tires, pit marker signs, beer, and a shovel & rake for pit area grooming, an EZ up, Lawn Chairs, Jumper Cables, a Base Station Antenna, and some other crap i know i am forgetting... did i mention Beer?

and the truck's a short bed. the only thing we had in the cab was some snack food and sweatshirts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
well i have a 06 ford, so the suspension's obviously different. but i had been running a pro comp 6in radius arm lift. and am switching over to 2.5in Coilover's on the front with different springs on the rear.

and 325/65/18 tires.

here's a picture of teh bed of my truck from the last race... and yes, those are RC cars back there... we did have a bit of slack time...

we have springs, steering, fuel, all fluids, driveshaft, shocks, CO2, Nitrogen, Beer, 4 wheels and tires, pit marker signs, beer, and a shovel & rake for pit area grooming, an EZ up, Lawn Chairs, Jumper Cables, a Base Station Antenna, and some other crap i know i am forgetting... did i mention Beer?

and the truck's a short bed. the only thing we had in the cab was some snack food and sweatshirts.

They had a lot of stuff in the back of DSI's truck and it actually looked neat (well organized) and the tail gate served as a good bench to rebuild a shock!!:smokin:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
They had a lot of stuff in the back of DSI's truck and it actually looked neat (well organized) and the tail gate served as a good bench to rebuild a shock!!:smokin:

yes it did, and they didn't even make a mess :laughing:

i do fully plan to build a better tire/fuel can rack setup for baja though...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Stock works just fine. Our crewchief has a Duramax Chevy and runs 285 tires with stock just fine. Get some good shocks and put the extra money into equipment. Its no use having a super fast capable chase truck with no tools and spare parts in it.

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
I've found with all the mud racing i've done (yes different racing but similar parts and tools come along) is that if you have a tire rack to keep your tires up out of the way and organized you leave lots of room for other gooides.

I dunno about you but we've always brought a gas power air compressor with us along with the top half of a tool box set for the tools then a smaller box with all the smaller parts such as electrical and hubs and bearings and such.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
check with kreger fabrication he makes a couple nice racks for the bed of trucks to support spares and tools, i wouldnt worry about the suspension as much as ability to carry apropriate tools and spares, we have a multitude of 4 door longbeds (chevy dodge ford), they work for most issues.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Well that kind of car are you guys going to race? Class?
You well need A good suspen kit. You dont want to be broken down trying to go out and find your car. lowrance well be nice, tire rack. cb radio. bumper ligths and rear bed ligths to see what you working on in the nigth. co2 tanks. dont need to carry a comp. gas tank. Tools. jacks, welder, and a few mags or video (really great when you dont have nothing to do or just waiting for them to pass by

Eric

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeepspeed 3.

I think I will probably just put some good shocks on the stock Dmax and call it a day. I just wanted to hear that from some with more XP than I.

Thank you for all the rack links. I like those. I will have to start putting something together soon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Something to keep in mind if you are building a rack and planning on using a race radio is antenna placement. A good antenna needs good sized ground plane. If you have your antenna on the roof and your rack is taller than your roof it can cut your radio range in half.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Something to keep in mind if you are building a rack and planning on using a race radio is antenna placement. A good antenna needs good sized ground plane. If you have your antenna on the roof and your rack is taller than your roof it can cut your radio range in half.
I'm interested in an pictures of racks that are built to be lower than the cab, to avoid the radio problems, and keep the center of gravity low.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Saw this one at last years B1K, actually that team had at least a half dozen of them. It looked as though you could unload the bed rack so you could use the truck when you are not racing.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's a chase rack we are building. When it's done it will be able to hold 5 spare tires plus all the normal stuff like dump cans and parts and tool boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the pic. I am in the works of doing something very similar. Can you snap some more pics at different angles?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well here are a couple more pics. I'll post more once it is finished.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 121 Posts