Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!
I am looking for chassis plans for a small polaris rzr sized buggy. I want it to be a front engine design. I kind of want to have 2 seats, but a single seat buggy would be fine. i like draggbody's honda transaxle powered kid buggy, and rhetty's aussie kid two seater. but for single seat buggies i think redzook's first buggy would be the best. Does anybody have plans for a chassis that fits the description? Here are links to the buggies i referenced:

redzook's first buggy:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/555536-aussie-buggy-build.html

rhetty's aussie kid two seater:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/949639-aussie-kid-two-seater.html

draggbody's honda powered kid buggy:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/633445-honda-powered-kid-buggy.html

have a good day/evening every body!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There's a bunch of deference in what your looking to do based on the builds you posted

Front engine transaxle will be difficult to do.
Two seat transaxle is difficult but not imposable

What running gear are you planing to use will also be a factor as well

Im building a honda transaxle buggy and its been a challenge because of the transmission out put ( its not imposable but could be easier with a different engine tranny combo )

rockape has a long detailed thread with his transaxle buggy and I think he might have a chassis forsale

if you like my design I can give you basic measurements but i have no plans

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1068205-johny5s-single-seat-transaxle-buggy-build.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a bunch of deference in what your looking to do based on the builds you posted

Front engine transaxle will be difficult to do.
Two seat transaxle is difficult but not imposable

What running gear are you planing to use will also be a factor as well

Im building a honda transaxle buggy and its been a challenge because of the transmission out put ( its not imposable but could be easier with a different engine tranny combo )

rockape has a long detailed thread with his transaxle buggy and I think he might have a chassis forsale

if you like my design I can give you basic measurements but i have no plans

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1068205-johny5s-single-seat-transaxle-buggy-build.html
ok, ill take a look at the link. And yea i seen that thread a while ago. and iam thinking of half ton axles front and rear. i dont know yet, tires will be 31-37's. I think that i can a 1995 nissan se-v6 extended cab that i belive runs and is a automatic. 4x4 of course. but if i have to i will try to do a transaxle setup. Nothing is set is stone yet. Thanks though

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, ill take a look at the link. And yea i seen that thread a while ago. and iam thinking of half ton axles front and rear. i dont know yet, tires will be 31-37's. I think that i can a 1995 nissan se-v6 extended cab that i belive runs and is a automatic. 4x4 of course. but if i have to i will try to do a transaxle setup. Nothing is set is stone yet. Thanks though
And i just looked at your thread quickly and i really think its a sweet rig, but i really want to have a front engine chassis though.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
thanks ,

keep in mind the nissan stuff may not have aftermarket support like toyota

and toyota running gear is hella long in a buggy if you wanting to keep a short wheel base

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem!
and yea i kind of expected that. lol, toyota drivetrais are long eh? hmm did not know this. but then again i am super new to imports

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something like this is what I would like to build one day

:Subaru buggy Subaru Justy Forum - 4X4 JUSTY BUGGY

little crawler with a Subaru boxer motor - YouTube
Yea, I saw the justy buggy build thread and thats what got me into the 4x4's. though it was awesome. The little boxer motor one is pretty sweet too. There's a guy about 2.5 hours away from that is selling a '93 subaru impreza for 250 bucks. he doesnt have any pics though wich makes me very leary of rust and stuff like that.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I kinda think you need to decide on an engine/trans or engine/transaxle combo... there is a big difference in chassis design to fit each type.

I do all of my chassis with bend-tech pro so they could be easily dupicated or just fix a damaged section by cutting out the damage and re-making the part I need from the original plans.

One piece of advise Ill give ya...building a buggy around common drivetrain parts...is a real challenge for most.Now throw in making something run and work in an application thats totally custom..... thats a test of your fab and engineering at its best!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I kinda think you need to decide on an engine/trans or engine/transaxle combo... there is a big difference in chassis design to fit each type.

I do all of my chassis with bend-tech pro so they could be easily dupicated or just fix a damaged section by cutting out the damage and re-making the part I need from the original plans.

One piece of advise Ill give ya...building a buggy around common drivetrain parts...is a real challenge for most.Now throw in making something run and work in an application thats totally custom..... thats a test of your fab and engineering at its best!
Yea, i am thinking i am going to use a ford focus (ztec) motor and transaxle from a late 90's focus that my uncle has just sitting around. and my neighbour has a jeep chereokee siting around that i might buy for axles. and i want this thing super small though. otherwise i go buy the toyota thats about 1 hour from me for 800$ but its not running and make something like a firewall buggy out of it. Also i tried my hand at an auto cad free trial program. and i made this design but its ugly, and most likley will be heavy as F*** but ill try to post it:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts