Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Linkoligist...
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive always been way to competitive about everything and this looks like the best thing for me.... So i have decided to save up and buy a chassis... I have an Sased 86 xtra cab and am thinkin of just takin the body off and puttin the cage on..... Do i have to use the extended chassis or can i use the shorter one and just cut..... I am thinkin i have to get the longer one because of how long my springs are... thanks for any help...
\

taylor

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
good question, as i am in the same boat. i want to know also.
Shane

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
My plan is to get a chassis in october then swap all of my stuff over to it. I thought about using the same frame but decided if im going to do all, then i might as well do it right.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I bought a different frame for mine, I had the frame and cage sitting there for the summer while I wheeled my truck.

It worked out best for me because I wanted to change mounts, crossmembers and stuff around and was easier starting with a stock frame.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Pook said:
I bought a different frame for mine, I had the frame and cage sitting there for the summer while I wheeled my truck.

It worked out best for me because I wanted to change mounts, crossmembers and stuff around and was easier starting with a stock frame.
Same here

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
yea, thats what i am thinking also, since i would be starting out with a xcab truck, the center part is longer, and i would have to cut the center out and shorten it. not sure if that would be legal or not. hmm. anybody got a frame laying around? :D
Shane

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
i have looked at and ext frame and a standar frame side by side. after going to great lenghts to get a short frame when i already had a long frame, i realized after the fact, it wasnt much longer and i could of built it with the longer frame. especially if you inboard the springs, the frame doesnt get in the way.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
a2b said:
i have looked at and ext frame and a standar frame side by side. after going to great lenghts to get a short frame when i already had a long frame, i realized after the fact, it wasnt much longer and i could of built it with the longer frame. especially if you inboard the springs, the frame doesnt get in the way.
My old truck was a long box and I bobbed and shortened the wheelbase at least 10" with no problems so I can't see why the ext. frame wouldn't work for the regular formula toy.

my formula toy has the same wheelbase as my old truck

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
ya i too thought i would have to cut 10" out of the center section to make it work. but nope, it will work just fine the way it is. just chop the rear.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
What's the wheelbase of the finished rig when you use an extended frame? Mike Hendrix told me I could not use an extended frame with his standard chassis. If I can satisfactorily use an extended frame, then I'd like to know that. :)

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Vortec_Cruiser said:
What's the wheelbase of the finished rig when you use an extended frame? Mike Hendrix told me I could not use an extended frame with his standard chassis. If I can satisfactorily use an extended frame, then I'd like to know that. :)
Your frame is 10 inches too long, but it's not really a problem cause you can cut that much off of the back of the frame and everything will work. You need to inboard the rear springs anyway in the rear so rear spring mounts don't matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts