Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard of people using fire extinguishers for air tanks. how do u do this. what else do people use? thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Around here we use air tanks off diesel trucks.They use them for air brakes.They already have the outlets brackets and come in a variety of sizes and shapes.You can usually find them at a truck wrecking yard.In Fresno theres a place that has them piled up against a fence.They have a few hundred of them for $12 each.

On my beast I integrated them into the flatbed subframe.Check it out;Air Tanks

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
1. You go to your local fire extinguisher supply house, and ask for one of their non-cert tanks that they generally just dispose of.
2. Plumb it up to your onboard air setup.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I use a fire extinguisher. Works just fine. I use the hose that came with it, and clamped a barbed air fitting to it. Then gutted the handle and plugged the hole on top.

Off the pump I have a "T". One hose goes to the grill, the other to the tank. There's actually a second "T" there as well that has the ARB cut out switch. So, I can disconnect my tank, and still pump air without the tank.

It's a crude system, but works great for virtually free.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got pics?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dude, listen to crwln73, get yourself an air tank off a semi-rig, they have the *everywhere*, you can get them for cheap, and it's a lot more flexible than using a fire extinguisher. Sure, the FE works, but if you can find a tank for under $20 that already has all the fittings and mounting brackets to boot, why bother?

The one I have was $20 and it was MINT, it's a 2.5 gallon capacity that has mounting brackets (with captive nuts) and four threaded holes, one at each end, one above, one on the bottom. Came off the air brake system off a medium-duty cargo truck, from a cluster of four.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
A friend worked at a rental repair type place and they had a huge supply (ie pile) of busted air compressors that contractors (ab)used. All shapes, sizes etc. of tanks, hot dog/pancake whatever. He was chargen a few bucks to cover his time to unbolt all the non-working parts.... Lots of bungs welded in the tanks too....

Should be a place near you.

-yag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts