Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am cheap, but I also like the "fuseability" of the Scout hubs, but I want Hi-Steer and have a Chevy knuckle available.

What I am proposing is to mill and tap the Chevy knuckle for a high tie rod to clear the SOA springs, but leave the drag link below the springs. I realize that I will need to have a buddy weld the six-hole knuckle and redrill for the 8 hole Scout spindle, but is there anything else why I couldn't do this?

BTW, I searched and did not find a specific answer. TIA in advance for all helpful replies.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You do not have to weld up the knuckle. Just redrill some of the holes on the spindle. A couple of the holes will match up. I have seen it done a couple of times.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, that was quick!! Thanks. Did the guys that you saw do it have any problems?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Why not just use a D-30 spindal from a scout drum brake on the chev knuckle? Same bearing as the 44 and you just bolt it up.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scoutillac said:
Why not just use a D-30 spindal from a scout drum brake on the chev knuckle? Same bearing as the 44 and you just bolt it up.
Got one you don't need and aren't too proud of?? I also have a CJ D30 from the Scrambler, would that work?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Just redrill your chevy knuckles and you can be a cheap ass like me!

The only issue I ran into was the fact that the chevy knuckle had less clearance and my wheel hit the steering arm. I needed a 1/4 spacer to get the wheel to clear. And I had to clearance some material out of the inside of the knuckle to allow the spindle studs to seat all the way. And I guess the highsteer arm did hit the brake caliper when I tried to put it all together, but that was solved with some grinding.

Nothing toough tough - I used a cheap azz drill press and an angle grinder to do the job, total cash outlay $0.00!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts