Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was woundering if there was any way to make a cheap high stear set up :confused:

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Personally I try to keep cheap and stearing out of the same sentence. The most realiable and economical is to just see which vendor has them on sale right now.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Holy f*ck is it mandatory for this topic to come up every month and the same flame-fest to ensue?

Try searching on these keywords:

"jukie assed shit kills innocent people drop draglink just buy it from marlin"

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
We have our Type 2 kit w/4 bolt billet arms for $429 or with 6 bolt billet arms for $514. Kits feature solid billet arms (not porous cast). Rods are DOM and tie rod ends are greasable.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
You didn't hear this from me. If you get another stock passenger side steering arm... you could have someone who does fabrication weld the two together. That will give you a place to connect your drag link. Then you just need an IFS box and a beefy drag link.

Unless you know someone who does good fab work for very cheap, it would probably make more sense just to buy High-Steer arms.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
moutainman said:
i was woundering if there was any way to make a cheap high stear set up :confused:

Sure, there is. The only drawback is, you might die. And take others with you possibly. Worth it? No. If you cant afford to at least pony up for proper steering, then wheeling probably isnt the hobby for you.

·
Registered
988 Posts
cbrew325 said:
You didn't hear this from me. If you get another stock passenger side steering arm... you could have someone who does fabrication weld the two together. That will give you a place to connect your drag link. Then you just need an IFS box and a beefy drag link.

Unless you know someone who does good fab work for very cheap, it would probably make more sense just to buy High-Steer arms.
He asked about High steer, not cross over. With double arms your TR is still below the springs. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
311 Posts
fprbrooks said:
He asked about High steer, not cross over. With double arms your TR is still below the springs. :flipoff2:
True. On the other hand, low cross-over is still worlds better than push/pull. I just thought I'd throw out the option. I have a cross-over arm that was built by a metal shop teacher using 2 stockers. Not something I would do myself, but if its done right it works great.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
TrailCarnage said:
Talk to W at Over The Hill. He set me up with an economical solution. http://www.overthehill4x4.com/index.html He simply reshaped my FJ60 arms to clear the springs and re-tapered the duoble TRE to flip the drag link to the rear.
are you saying heated and bent the stock cast arms :eek:

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
sickfab said:
Sure, there is. The only drawback is, you might die. And take others with you possibly. Worth it? No. If you cant afford to at least pony up for proper steering, then wheeling probably isnt the hobby for you.
:laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
hi-steer is so cheap, why does everyone try to half ass this stuff, i'm going to be pissed the first time one of you guys hits and kills me because of your half assed shit.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
OliveToy said:
i'm going to be pissed the first time one of you guys hits and kills me because of your half assed shit.
Yea Id be pissed if I got hit and died too. :laughing:

·
Registered
696 Posts
i did and know others that have too. it is not good to cut and weld steering arms, but i did it anyway and am still living. i have sky's kit now though :flipoff2:

·
Registered
810 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
are you saying heated and bent the stock cast arms :eek:
My understanding is that these are forged arms, not cast. They appear to have the same construction as the Toy pitman arms. I know I have seen numerous pitmans cut/welded or heated/bent with success.

·
Registered
470 Posts
TrailCarnage said:
My understanding is that these are forged arms, not cast. They appear to have the same construction as the Toy pitman arms. I know I have seen numerous pitmans cut/welded or heated/bent with success.
No auto manufacturer uses cast anything for steering components period. Anyone who says they're cast is just ignorant. Factory Toyota steering arms are most definately forged steel. I won't recomend welding your own crossover arm, but, and a big but, if done properly by a skilled welder they can be made as strong as the factory supplied them.

Now let the doubters chim in. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Canadian_Zuk said:
No auto manufacturer uses cast anything for steering components period. Anyone who says they're cast is just ignorant. Factory Toyota steering arms are most definately forged steel. I won't recomend welding your own crossover arm, but, and a big but, if done properly by a skilled welder they can be made as strong as the factory supplied them.

Now let the doubters chim in. :flipoff2:
Ok they are not cast........what are your thoughts on heating & bending steering arms?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts