Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a power steering setup from a 74 f 100 with the hydrolic ram. I put the axle under my BII and ran performance steering with my stock box and pump (302) I was wondering if i could build up some mounts and use this ram instead of going out and buying a compleatly new one? Or is this one just junk and i shouldnt waste my time? I would get the box fitted by west texs offroad probly. so would i just have to run some High pressure hose down to it and i should work just like a normal ram. so i dont have to have that stupid sensor on the steering thats on the stock setup? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
hydraulic steering

I have recently built a soely hydraulic steering system for my jeep using components from a Yale forklift. I see no reason why the cylinder you have will not work, in fact I used it as an option for quite some time, until I decided that i wanted to go completly hydraulic. the only thing to be concerned with is actual steering force that the hydraulic assist will deliver. Asuming the actuator has a piston area of aproximatly one square inch, and the power steering pump you have will deliver about 1200 to 1500 psi working pressure, you should see approximatly 1200-1500 punds of force at the steering end of your cylinder, neglecting pressure losses due to plumbing. In addition to the power steering box assistance you already have, this system should be more than adequate for any rig.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Rockcrawler_101 said:
I got a power steering setup from a 74 f 100 with the hydrolic ram. I put the axle under my BII and ran performance steering with my stock box and pump (302) I was wondering if i could build up some mounts and use this ram instead of going out and buying a compleatly new one? Or is this one just junk and i shouldnt waste my time? I would get the box fitted by west texs offroad probly. so would i just have to run some High pressure hose down to it and i should work just like a normal ram. so i dont have to have that stupid sensor on the steering thats on the stock setup? Thanks
Its junk

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just wondering why the ram is junk. not saying it isnt junk just want to know why? Thanks

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
not to mention when the time comes, it'd probably cost you more to get the parts to rebuild it than it would cost to buy a new ram, if you can find anything for it. Then it would probably start leaking a month later anyway.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would you think it would be ok to put this the one in i have right now and upgrade to a bigger ram later? I already have it and it didnt show any leaks from the ram but the stupid thingy on the steering rod was leaking but i wont use that becuase im getting my steering box taped. but i think im going to junk it from what you guys say. And just save my money. Thanks for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts