Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just found these, might be a mistake since the same company has another listing for the same battery for $119.

$23 for an off brand 9.0!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FA6VVDS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484078959&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=m18+9.0+battery&dpPl=1&dpID=41G9QuJBAbL&ref=plSrch

I ordered 1 and 1 actual milwaukee 9.0, so we'll see how it goes.

Thinking about it, I should have just ordered 5 more knock offs for the same money, :laughing:

Edit: I canceled the Milwaukee one and ordered another knock off. I'll only be able to compare it to my old XC battery now.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I just use my wife's business account, apparently you can get discounts with it. First I've heard. Pretty fucking hefty discount.

I clicked the link just now and took that screen shot. Just to make sure the price didn't shoot up right after I ordered. I've had that happen quite a few times on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
Personally, I've been scared of fire hazards with a knock off lithium batt.. But I'm curious to see how it they pan out..

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, I've been scared of fire hazards with a knock off lithium batt.. But I'm curious to see how it they pan out..
That was my fear as well.

Lithium ion batteries are MUCH safer than the lithium polymer batteries rc guys (Lance) use. I have personally had a lipo fire and it was insanely scary, if it was in the garage I have no doubt our house would have burnt down.

These m18 batteries and chargers are pretty smart,but I usually try my best not to leave them unattended. I might even start charging these new knock offs in a spare 30mm ammo can I have.

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
I've had 6 of the 2.0 knock offs and for a couple of month's now and they work as well as the real deal. I use them at work so if they get lost or stolen it won't hurt as much.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've bought a m12 knockoff, It wouldn't charge in my Milwaukee charger. After messaging back and forth with the seller, numerous times, he finally credited my account and didn't want his defective battery back. I hope your experience is better than mine. Let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Fear of fire here too, and well also being PISSED :mad3: they don't work as good or as long.

I got 4x 9.0AH "real" batteries... 3 from kits, 1 from someone who parted a kit.

I'd like to get a couple 5.0s as I'd rather have more batteries to spread the usage over than just a couple I wear out :flipoff2:

I think I'm goign to end up keeping my 2nd M18 Fuel Sawzall or trade someone for a non-fuel... the fuel really sucked (IMHO) for cutting steel it was like INSTANT blade destruction/over-heat.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fear of fire here too, and well also being PISSED :mad3: they don't work as good or as long.

I got 4x 9.0AH "real" batteries... 3 from kits, 1 from someone who parted a kit.

I'd like to get a couple 5.0s as I'd rather have more batteries to spread the usage over than just a couple I wear out :flipoff2:

I think I'm goign to end up keeping my 2nd M18 Fuel Sawzall or trade someone for a non-fuel... the fuel really sucked (IMHO) for cutting steel it was like INSTANT blade destruction/over-heat.
I might be willing to trade you.

What blades are you using? The Milwaukee "tourch" blade is well worth the price.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Allegedly the tools log the serial numbers of all batteries used on them. If you send in a tool for warranty repair and it shows an unrecognized battery has been used warranty is void.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Allegedly the tools log the serial numbers of all batteries used on them. If you send in a tool for warranty repair and it shows an unrecognized battery has been used warranty is void.
I'm guessing you're referring to the one key tools?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm guessing you're referring to the one key tools?
No, even before OK. I could have sworn it was on Toolguyd.com ~2 years ago after he spoke w Milwaukee reps and I also thought the article mentioned that for a brief time Milwaukee was making their own cells, at least for R&D purposes. But I have searched ad nauseum and cannot find it.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
That was my fear as well.

Lithium ion batteries are MUCH safer than the lithium polymer batteries rc guys (Lance) use. I have personally had a lipo fire and it was insanely scary, if it was in the garage I have no doubt our house would have burnt down.

These m18 batteries and chargers are pretty smart,but I usually try my best not to leave them unattended. I might even start charging these new knock offs in a spare 30mm ammo can I have.

Agreed, I always left batterys on the charger.. Then last winter a guys garage burnt down about 10 miles from me... determined cause? a drill battery that shorted out on the charger.. I forget the brand, but I want to say ryobi?

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed, I always left batterys on the charger.. Then last winter a guys garage burnt down about 10 miles from me... determined cause? a drill battery that shorted out on the charger.. I forget the brand, but I want to say ryobi?
Ya, it's definitely a proprob with how many things have batteries these days, even a cell phone could do it.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No real info to add, except damn these a big!

Charging them in a huge metal box since you guys have me paranoid :flipoff2:

Looking at the case, it looks identical to the Milwaukee version. Even down to the decals. Obviously the important part is the cells them selves. I might crack the case open later to see if there is any markings on them. Does anyany have a Milwaukee 9.0 they'd bewillbe w to open and look at the cells?

I have a hunch that these are made at the same plant as the Milwaukee batteries. Then they just sell them withwit the Milwaukee name on them, because china :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I went to check on them just now, both chargers were flashing red and green. Which is the little broken battery symbol on the sticker. Both batteries had 3/4 on the guage.

I took them off and put them back on, both are charging fine for the last 15 min now. My theory is these chargers are both old, one I was given and the other I got at least 4 years ago, which came with some og thin (1.0?) batteries. I think the charger is going to take 2+ hours to charge these 9.0s and it probably thinks something is wrong.

I do have one newer charger that's only 2 or 3 years old, but it's not here for me to try. May just have to pony up for a rapid charger.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Let us know what happens. The regular chargers should charge 9.0s just fine, it'll just take longer (obviously).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts