Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,734 Posts
Originally posted by Rambus:
<STRONG>I have seen info about using mid 80's Cadillac suspension compressors for ARB's, but I was wondering if these would have enough power to air up tires efficiently. Any one have any helpful hints.</STRONG>
They work about as well as a "Truck Air" compressor. Very slow, I used to have 3 of them hooked into a tank. One of the problems that I ran into was they are not built for continuous use and they over heat and wear out. One of them that I took apart had a plastic piston and it was melted. They do work for ARB’s; I just helped a guy (SloRunner) set one up for his rig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,337 Posts
I hear York compressors work well (AC compressor) I have one out of a late 70's mustang. Heavy as hell, i will post pics and let every one know how it goes once i'm done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
Hey!

I checked'm out for the same use-

here's what'z up-

They do not have enough output to fill tires w/ out a large storage tank.

They are capable of high pressure (200 psi)at very low volume.

They are very suitable for ARB's as is, or airbag type suspension, if used w/ a small tank.

My personal solution for air is my 20lb. CO2 tank that I use w/ my Lincoln 170 mig. Found a used high pressure regulator at the welding shop for $45.00, hooked up a hose, and have instant air at 100 psi. Costs about $16.00 to refill/exchange.

Later
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,568 Posts
Sorta depends what kind of use you plan...

Here's an article: http://www.outdoorwire.com/4x4/toyota/tech/caddy_comp/
'Old Cadillacs really are worth something! Try this low dollar recipe for on-board air, and use a Caddy air compressor to power an ARB air locker.'

Randii
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
So what do you guys reccomend for an on-board air setup that will quickly fill tires? Im talking 12v setup that would mount under the hood in the the bed. Not an a/c compressor. Also something that is under $350!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,385 Posts
Cheap, fast, and 12V... I don't think there is such a thing. <IMG SRC="smilies/frown.gif" border="0">

Cheap, fast= converted A/C compressor

Cheap, fast, slow= "Truck Air" compressor...

Why are you against using an A/C compressor???
 

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,734 Posts
Originally posted by ErikBeeb:
<STRONG>
Cheap, fast, slow= "Truck Air" compressor...

</STRONG>
This we know well right Beebs!!! <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0">

Check out Beeb's web site he has the stock AC pump for his AC and he has a York AC compressor for his on-board air. You can tell he played with an Erector Set as a kid!!!! http://home.off-road.com/~bibelheimer/

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: OPP'S ]

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: OPP'S ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Adam, Sun Performance has a good air comp called the Quick Air III which must be hard mounted, or you could get the QA II which comes in both hard mount and portable versions. But it's not going to fill fast unless you get an exteranl tank like you would use with the air conditioning compressors.

And a good 12V air comp is going to set you back as much as a Power Tank like I have.

Leo built his own C02 tank and has a writeup on his homepage about it.Here is the link.

A C02 tank will fill tires faster than any type of compressor will, and is just as fast as a service station, if not faster. Plus, you can run air tools with it too. And being portable, you can take it out and charge all your buds $$$ for filling them back up.

A 10 lb tank like I have will fill up about 30 to 40 tires from 15 lb to 35 lb again before it needs to be recharged.
Corey
 

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,734 Posts
Originally posted by Corey:
<STRONG>Adam, Sun Performance
A 10 lb tank like I have will fill up about 30 to 40 tires from 15 lb to 35 lb again before it needs to be recharged.
Corey</STRONG>
30 to 40 tires, what size bicycle do you have. <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> I have a 10 lb PT and am luckly to get 16 tires out of it. I run 35x12.50 and I air down to 10-11 lbs. When I fill I take them up to 27-28 lbs.
An AC compressor with a holding tank will fill tires just as fast as a PT and it will run air tools also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like it's time to head to the recking yard to find an a/c compressor or maybe find a co2 tank. The only thing that I really want it for is to fill tires, maybe think about air tools. Thanks for all the info.
<IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/beer.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Originally posted by OPP'S:
<STRONG>
Originally posted by Corey:
[qb]Adam, Sun Performance
A 10 lb tank like I have will fill up about 30 to 40 tires from 15 lb to 35 lb again before it needs to be recharged.
Corey</STRONG>
30 to 40 tires, what size bicycle do you have. <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> I have a 10 lb PT and am luckly to get 16 tires out of it. I run 35x12.50 and I air down to 10-11 lbs. When I fill I take them up to 27-28 lbs.
An AC compressor with a holding tank will fill tires just as fast as a PT and it will run air tools also.[/QB]

<IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> I'm just going by the chart that is on PT's website.
I run puny 31x10.5x15 tires, and I only air down to 15, then fill back up to 33 lb.
According to Steve's chart, that should put me around 30 tires.

According to his chart, you should see 16 tires from 10 to 30 PSI, which is exactly what you say you are getting.

I'm still on my 1st tank, so I don't know what I'll get, plus I have been using it to run tools lately too, so that will cut into it.
Corey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
I have tried, or at least seen other people using, all three and the one I finally went with was the York. Install is a pain, but dang, the end result is soooooooo nice that I can't believe I didn't do it sooner (kinda on the same level as installing power steering for usefullness)

I have a full write up on my York install over at Cascade
http://www.cascadecrawlers.com/toyota/york2/index.shtml

Although the compressor itself was cheap ($24) the fittings (almost all brass and pushlock), hose, filters, valves, probably ran me up over $100. The tank was cheap though, $18 at any Wal-Mart or Autozone type store.

My system runs tools absolutely perfectly. I can run my impact at full blast for 45 seconds before there is any perceptible drop off. That 7 gal tank really is the key.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Wheelie_Pete ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Originally posted by Adam F:
<STRONG>So what do you guys reccomend for an on-board air setup that will quickly fill tires? Im talking 12v setup that would mount under the hood in the the bed. Not an a/c compressor. Also something that is under $350!!!</STRONG>
Why are you against a AC compressor? It's teh cheapest fastest way to fill up tires if you do all the foot work..

If your interested I'll give you the break down on how to do it! I have two cheap electric compressors right now with a tank and it takes for ever and can only get to about 25 and they lose there desire to compress!

I'm trying to find a late model compresor for a decent price to do my system!

Let me know if you want to run one..

Other wise I would say go with the c02 thing it works pretty fast too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by CB77JD:
<STRONG>Why are you against a AC compressor? It's teh cheapest fastest way to fill up tires if you do all the foot work..

If your interested I'll give you the break down on how to do it! I have two cheap electric compressors right now with a tank and it takes for ever and can only get to about 25 and they lose there desire to compress!

I'm trying to find a late model compresor for a decent price to do my system!

Let me know if you want to run one..

Other wise I would say go with the c02 thing it works pretty fast too!</STRONG>

Well, Im not against a compressor at all. I just thought that running a a/c compressor for air would eliminate your air conditioning. I did not know that I could run both. I will look into it. I am looking for hard mount. So that rules out the CO2 setup. Plus I have problems with paying for compressed air!

Oh, and would 2 compressors fit under the hood of a 95 Taco 2.7L?

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Adam F ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
Ive tried everything. And nothing beats co2 or nitrgen. Electric compressors to slow, a/c compressors burn up do to lack of freon (which is what they use for lubricant). Compressed gas just kicks ass. 120 psi runs air tools, beads tires, blows the dust off me and out of the runner. And a tank lasts two or three trips. Besides they like me at the welding shop. They can't wait to see the new dents. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
That is exactly why I went with the C02 setup. Lots of power on tap.
Your sig does scare me though Kong <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">

Ahhh one day I will have another Toy hopefully that I won't mind getting dents in it. An '85 truck would be nice, and they are still plentiful up here in WA. state.

Adam, why not "hardmount" a C02 tank under the tanua cover of Project Taco?
Get a mini roll bar fabbed up like mine for your wheelwell, or something similar, and have the tank angled off to the side, and you still have plenty of room back there.
Plus it can be padlocked in to keep them stinkin' thieves from takin' it.
Costs you about $15 or so to get it refilled at most welding supply shops, and it will last you quite a while.
Corey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Originally posted by Adam F:
<STRONG>
Well, Im not against a compressor at all. I just thought that running a a/c compressor for air would eliminate your air conditioning. I did not know that I could run both. I will look into it. I am looking for hard mount. So that rules out the CO2 setup. Plus I have problems with paying for compressed air!

Oh, and would 2 compressors fit under the hood of a 95 Taco 2.7L?

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Adam F ]</STRONG>

The Air condition under the hood.. IMo is the cheapest and the best kind of air..Yo can find a a used one for like 40-100 there's a little extra steps you need to do to make it work but anyone can do it in your own garage..

Will one fit under your hood? It should! I have the 6cylinder and i think there's enough room... with the four bannger I think there's even more.. but I would have to look! The hardest part is making a braket to mount it on..

Once I have the compressor I'll have more insight.. and I'll make a braket for it..

so I'll post when I have one how I did it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
I definetly don't want CO2. Several reasons. I would use it to air up tires for me and a few of my buddies, to engage a ARB locker, and run an air horn. I dont want to pay to have the thing filled up every week.

CB77JD, let me know when you complete the a/c compressor setup!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top