Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 2wd ranger I am building for desert racing with my buddies. we will be building 2 or 3. I wanna know what dirty dagger tricks people have had success with in keeping cost down. camburg kits are 2k and the shocks suck. bent beams are cheap and i can make radius arms.
will larger stock ford truck i-beams fit? and what newer truck came stock with the fiberglass hood that will fit?
I have a few bucks for the build but want to make it go farther towards the whole build.

thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
No factory full size beams will fit stock Ranger mounts.

For the most bang for your buck stick with a bent beam kit. They work much better than most people give them credit for. Take a look at Autofab's kits. you can bolt their front and rear suspension kits in a weekend and go play... practically plug-and-play.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
spend some time here http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi

and here http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Get a set of forged beams from an older ranger. Cut and extend them. If you are capable of fabbing rad arms you can probably extend the beams too. Spend some time on the sites listed above and you'll be able to pick up a set of deavers for the rear for around $300.

I picked up my bedcage for $20 from a guy backhalving his ranger. In the front I cut the stock shock mounts from the coil buckets and spliced in F-250 4x4 shock mounts so I could run a 12" shock.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the link, i picked up the front fiberglass fenders and got them installed already, paid 300.00 :D

I was wondering if anyone has had success just using the long chevy springs instead of buying the deavers, i know the deavers aren't real spendy but i already got chevy springs ( free).

I can make radius arms and the trany cross support easy enough, I'm gonna try a step side set of bed skins ( also i got free) let you know if it works ok, I will need to slightly modify the fiberglass in front of the wheel well.

front bed cage and engine cage are easy enough but i need the spec guidelines for the interior cage if anyone knows how to get em.

·
Registered
33 Posts
chevy leafs are an option, i have seen them successfully raced on

to get the truck to handle properly you'll have to spend time working those springs to get the right arch and spring rate.

check out Giant Motorsports for some more affordable Ranger parts. they also have a 64" spring kit that is amazing

http://www.giantmotorsports.com/

·
Registered
393 Posts
cut and extend beams, make tube radius arms and foa coilovers for the front. deavers, shackle flip, extended shackles (lowering/long travel shackles when shackle is flipped) and remote resivoir shocks. basic bed cage and engine cage out off HREW with good triangulation and frame plating. wouldnt cost under or right around 2k if you have the tools and werent looking for deals. im sure it could be had cheaper if you shopped around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did this to mine and loved it! - If you do this, a good time would be when changing springs. Check out the details at the Rangers website -

Switching out your differential with one from an explorer (with disc brakes and a limited slip) is a really good way to better your cornering (it's 1-1/2 inch wider) and braking - 2000 and newer have disc brakes.

The rangers website has the swap details and the axel codes

I did this and really liked the results - the ebrakes were plug and play on my 2000 ranger.

Hope this helps.

John

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
Switching out your differential with one from an explorer (with disc brakes and a limited slip) is a really good way to better your cornering (it's 1-1/2 inch wider) and braking - 2000 and newer have disc brakes.
95 and newer have discs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 96 2wd ranger I am building for desert racing with my buddies. we will be building 2 or 3. I wanna know what dirty dagger tricks people have had success with in keeping cost down. camburg kits are 2k and the shocks suck. bent beams are cheap and i can make radius arms.
will larger stock ford truck i-beams fit? and what newer truck came stock with the fiberglass hood that will fit?
I have a few bucks for the build but want to make it go farther towards the whole build.

thanks
Before you get ahead of yourself pick a class to race and get the rule book! alot of things mentioned so far will not qualify for specific classes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts