Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted in the rig registry but I guess this is more of a buildup thread than anything. After reading the "can a ranger wheel" post I thought I'd share this beauty :laughing: and the buildup:

It's not done yet (we're going to finish it when I go home for xmas) but here's how she sits right now (for the most part).
Started out as basically a free rig--a customer/buddy of the bossman (shortbus) traded for some basic work.
It sat for awhile then we decided to slow down on the crazy workdays a bit lat summer and have some fun.
It's purpose was shop rig for me to start putting to use some of the shit i was learning on a "rougher" project before the next buggy, etc.
Plus it's something for me to follow Josh's (shortbus) buggy around in.

Out came the sawzall

Then came the frame chop, 14bolt shaved to 44 clearance, welded, and disc'ed

Three link:

Leafsprung HP44 front w/ the rear leaves. Still need/have to do: steering valve for full hydro (bought today), tube to make it a complete truggy, 2.9l flywheel, cheap 37s, steelies to put our beadlock rings on.

Keeping the stock motor--trying to stay low cost plus it's injected,
may do a "homebrew" doubler if it's quick/easy enough. Any opinions on the 2.9l?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most probably, it's 8-lug now so they're just collecting dust. He probably wouldn't want much for them. I'll talk to Josh about it and PM you. The rims are fine 15x8 plain jane steelies but the tires are shit, cracks all over and pretty much bald. Perfect rollers if that's what you want them for.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
beartj said:
Any opinions on the 2.9l?
GEARS! GEARS! GEARS

2.9Ls are great little engines if you gear 'em right.

With 37s, you'll want 5.38s (can those be had on a 14B? 5.13 minimum).

I run 35s and 5.13 on my BII 2.9L and couldn't be much happier :)

The big thing with 2.9s is don't ever let the cooling system fail. They like to crack heads when overheated.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up. We know the gearing is going to be an issue but I think the cost of gears (it's got 4:10s) is going to make it so it'll be cheaper for us to make a basic doubler using the 2wd half of another xfercse. We have a lathe, mill, plasma cam, etc. so buying gears is more expensive than picking up an old xfercase out of the pile and making something out of scrap. Probably just wheel it as is with some 36s or 37s and then go from there.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had a 2.9 and along with overheating, the thing leaked oil like a sonofabitch from the valve cover gaskets......the originals hold up fine, but it seems like the 3 or 4 guys I know runnin those motors have had a little leak from the valve cover gaskets ever since the originals go bad and need replacing....after that, they last 8-12 months and need replacing again.....the 4.0 in mine leaks a lil oil from there but not near as much.

Zach

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks dude. May still have to take you up on that gross anatomy lab tour after all this MCAT craziness is over with.

Not much to update, spent most of xmas break deer hunting and sitting on my ass where it's warm after last semester's hell and didn't get any progress on this thing.

Worked on it a bit for the first time since summer last weekend: Formed, and mounted orbital bracket, made stub shaft to stock steering column to 12 spling orbital input, removed the body lift and the stock steering. Bought some hummers so that takes care of wheels and tires ('til I find something better). THe tires are the 37" goodyear MT OZ. Not the best but it's one step closer to being spring break ready. WB ended up being 109" after the sfa using the rear springs (the suckers are FLAT and pretty long).

We knew that we could probably buy the right steering column for the orbital for pretty cheap but said what the hell and decided to spend a couple hours machining a spud shaft by just marking on a piece of round stock the approx spline location, and cutting the splines in with a flycutter (i think?). ...the man has some skills and patience.

I'll post some pics when we start to get some real progress. Anyone know want to donate a 2.9l flywheel to the greater good?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
NOt much progress, hopefully more when i go home on saturday. Steering is pretty much done, i *should* be ordering tube pretty soon, might re-center the wheels this weekend and hopefully we'll get a doubler in there sometime before windrock. There's lots to do and not a lot of time to do it w/ school and all.

·
Registered
923 Posts
i have a 2.9l flywheel and good clutch set up. im in so cal. pm me you can have it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dont bother with a 2.9 clutch and those tires. It will go up in smoke the first time you set the front against a rock face. Swap in a much larger 10" 4.0 clutch and flywheel from an exploder or ranger and you will get the added mass as well to help turn those tires. Its a bolt in deal, just find the parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
no v8? why drive? said:
Dont bother with a 2.9 clutch and those tires. It will go up in smoke the first time you set the front against a rock face. Swap in a much larger 10" 4.0 clutch and flywheel from an exploder or ranger and you will get the added mass as well to help turn those tires. Its a bolt in deal, just find the parts.
Holy Sh*t I thought I knew of every ranger/exploder/bII swap upgrade there was. Does that really work?

The clutch behind my 2.9 is the basic Napa version and it slipped sometimes if I was hard on it. That was with 3.73s though, 4.56s should be easier on the clutch.

I agree with 4x4junkie, gears are essential. Otherwise, a bulletproof motor.

-Colin

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
no v8? why drive? said:
It's going to have a doubler and the rear case will probably be in low pretty much all the time.

We'd love to put a small block in it w/ a solid tranny and all that but that's just not a possibility right now. Besides...i dont really see that v6 or front 44 lasting for a week. So who knows what'll happen. The goal right now is to get this bitch going.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Abrar, just make sure you do it right and don't hack shit together and it will hold together for the whole week. If you don't get it done, woopty doo, ride with one of the other guys. With the way it sounds like your class schedule is going right now, time is kind of limited, especially since SB is middle march. Do it right the first time, and you'll get more enjoyment out of it later.

Good luck though man!! If you do get it done, it better be at the lawn show (if/when we have one), because that'll be the only chance I'll probably get to see it.

Brian

1 - 20 of 124 Posts