Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Why cheap? If DOM, you end up with that India crap that is soaked in oil. It's a pain in the ass to work with and clean. You end up wasting your time cleaning the tube and it welds poorly anyway. Request US made steel. Sharon or StarDOM among others.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Why cheap? If DOM, you end up with that India crap that is soaked in oil. It's a pain in the ass to work with and clean. You end up wasting your time cleaning the tube and it welds poorly anyway. Request US made steel. Sharon or StarDOM among others.

Can you give any sources for this? I was under the impression that DOM, or any tube/pipe for that matter, had to have specific tolerances, otherwise it would not exist in said class. And what is wrong with oily tubing? Wouldn't that just help to prevent rust?

I am not an advocate of outsourcing much of anything, but I am just curious what makes you say that.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would just like to know where to get some HREW and DOM tubing at a decent price in the Sacramento area

·
Premium Member
11,113 Posts
John Cappa said:
Sharon or StarDOM among others.
The 15-foot length of 1.625" x 1/4" ID tubing I got for $15 was Sharon. :flipoff2:

And yeah, it's really nice. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
844Runner said:
I would just like to know where to get some HREW and DOM tubing at a decent price in the Sacramento area
Alco Steel can get it, but they are a $400 minimum
http://dwp.bigplanet.com/alcometals

also Moose Metals in Concord, CA can order DOM and HREW.
cant find their card off hand...
they are good people and have a rather large remnant pile...

your best bet is to get on the phone with a machine shop and see where they get their metal...
call friends who deal with metalworking business and see where they get their stuff - and ask if they can order it for you with their discount....

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
i like to tell the steal places that i am using it for a college project, usually get very good deals on it

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Team Tube in West Sac and Del Paso Steel are the two local places that you will have the most luck.

and $1 a foot for .25 wall DOM is an anomoly. That's closer to $3-4 a foot right now. Prices for scrap and raw materials have gotten a LOT better in the last two months though, so look for pricing to go down a bit at the distributors.

SeanP

·
Registered
339 Posts
John Cappa said:
Nothing wrong with an oil coat, that's what some brake parts cleaner is for :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
John Cappa said:
Where are you getting this information at?

I have bought "cheap" DOM before and it was from Japan and a great product.

Soaked in oil? Any steel supplier worth its salt will cover the steel in protectorant to prevent rust. Unless you're buying from C&C metals in Rancho Cordova...then you get overpriced American steel that's half rusted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
robselina said:
Nothing wrong with an oil coat, that's what some brake parts cleaner is for :flipoff2:

Sure, your cleaning time=labor. It's worth some dollar amount. If your time isn't worth much then maybe. Brake parts cleaner also adds to the price per foot. So why not get the good stuff? I donno, just the way I look at it. Sorry if you disagree, store your metal outside, or live in a wet area. I really like the way the US stuff welds versus the India stuff anyway.

And you can request a specific brand at most larger metal distributors. They may tell you to pound sand but I've had good luck with it. If they try and pawn the cheap crap on ya, you can send it back.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
SeanP said:
Team Tube in West Sac and Del Paso Steel are the two local places that you will have the most luck.

and $1 a foot for .25 wall DOM is an anomoly. That's closer to $3-4 a foot right now. Prices for scrap and raw materials have gotten a LOT better in the last two months though, so look for pricing to go down a bit at the distributors.

SeanP
if you can get 1.75x.250wall DOM 1026 for $3-4/foot you stand to make $$$$$$$$$$ selling it on here to linked suspenion builders. i havent bought it in 2 years and it was well over $5 then

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
John Cappa said:
From going through several hundred feet of tubing on all different types of projects.
And it was stamped "made in india"? I don't know of anyone in Sac that was importing anything from India...I know many were importing Japanese steel.

So where did you get 'india' steel at? I want to call up your distributor and ask them why their ordering inferior DOM. If what you say is true, then that would mean that the product is not meeting the standards set forth to be real DOM.

And all the US steel I have ever bought comes with a protective pertoleum based coating.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Jesus, southern DOM is apparently alloyed with gold. Yesterday I got a uote for 12.50/foot for 1.5" .25"wall DOM. And that's if I ordered an entire stick. The place was known for pricing on the high side, but structural steel in general has become outrageous.

·
Registered
202 Posts
AfterThisNap said:
Jesus, southern DOM is apparently alloyed with gold. Yesterday I got a uote for 12.50/foot for 1.5" .25"wall DOM. And that's if I ordered an entire stick. The place was known for pricing on the high side, but structural steel in general has become outrageous.
That's the ballpark I've been quoted for heavy .250 wall DOM for a while now. I guess I'm getting used to the high prices :shaking:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I scored a stick of 2"x.25 DOM for $8.50/ft last week. I went in to buy 4' and when he told me the price, I bought the whole stick. I can see if I can get more at that price and ship it in 4-5' pieces if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Any more info on DOM from India?

I just received an order of 2" .120 wall DOM and at first I thought they delivered the wrong material. It does not have that brown finish that most DOM has, it was kinda a gray/silver color. Stamped on it is "India".

I don't remember the specifics, but I thought the brown color came from one of the processes that make it DOM??

I called the suppiler and they confirmed that it is DOM from India and that they stand behind the quality of it.

BTW it was not oily at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts