Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Is cyberweld still in business? Was perfectly happy with my Miller 175 from them 15 years ago. Done a ton of wire, worn through one wire liner and countless tips. Never let me down. Not sure if they still sell the 175 but I would buy the equivalent again.

Cheap usually means not infinitely adjustable rheostats for speed and voltage. I really like being able to fine tune the output.

Want cheap? Buy used.
Yes, Cyberweld is still around. I bought my Dynasty 210 from them a couple months ago. Bought my 251 Mig from them 15 years ago. They still generally have the best prices around on Miller/Hobart/ESAB new equipment.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
So I'm sure most of you guys know that any cheapo wire feed can work as a "multi process" machine if you just. Open the door and hook your leads or tig torch to the + & - lugs that are labeled right inside.
I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess you've never actually tried stick or TIG welding with a CV power source.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you can swing the cost of a HTP unit, I suggest that route. Same quality and consumables as Miller, but maybe 2/3 the price. I'm very happy with my mig and my plasma from them. Customer support is top notch too. I've had my units fit 10+ years. I assume they're still around. Probably should have checked before posting.

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess you've never actually tried stick or TIG welding with a CV power source.
You would be wrong. Running a tig torch off of a 110 machine cv power source might be the more common in field way to weld and repair stainless handrail.

Does it work great or nearly as smooth? No, but once you get used to it it's fine. You just need a tig torch with a flow valve built in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My POS 120v Jobsmart 125 holds a 10lb spool and is about that old. :flipoff2:

Now that's a business practice that won't survive the next recession. :laughing:

What have you done with it? I'm thinking of buying one of these this weekend to replace my Jobsmart for exhaust and other "shit that's to thin to stick weld" duty.
A small amount of body welding that you cant really see. fixed a couple folding chairs and am about to start welding up a move bumper that is 3/16 and 1/4". I have been doing flux core only but just set it up for gas/mig. but its been to cold and windy to start.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I keep debating buying a cheap welder. I already have a Hobart mig and it does everything I want it to. My issue is that I keep having projects that I want a Tig for. I strugle to justify going to cyberweld and dropping 2300 for a miller diversion or 4k for a dynasty. It seems ridiculous.

I keep coming back to looking at the AlphaTig 200.
https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-Stick-Welder-WARRANTY/dp/B076BSD6PG

EDIT: Looks like they have a newer model out? https://ahpwelds.com/product/ahp-alphatig-201xd

Any of you guys run one of them? THe reviews seem decent, but im sure chinese importers fake some of those.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
I keep debating buying a cheap welder. I already have a Hobart mig and it does everything I want it to. My issue is that I keep having projects that I want a Tig for. I strugle to justify going to cyberweld and dropping 2300 for a miller diversion or 4k for a dynasty. It seems ridiculous.

I keep coming back to looking at the AlphaTig 200.
https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-Stick-Welder-WARRANTY/dp/B076BSD6PG

EDIT: Looks like they have a newer model out? https://ahpwelds.com/product/ahp-alphatig-201xd

Any of you guys run one of them? THe reviews seem decent, but im sure chinese importers fake some of those.
I went through all of those same questions when I added a TIG to compliment my Hobart 140.

I ended up going with the ck worldwide machine. picked up a "demo unit" from ebay, came with full warranty. yes, it wasn't as cheap as the AlphaTIG and other Chinese units. yes, it is a Chinese machine. yes, the razorweld unit comes from the same (probably) factory and is less money.

CK machine came with a CK superflex adjustable head, not expensive stuff, but an extra hundred bucks in value. CK has solid customer service, so while it is still a Chinese unit, china will make what you want and it seems to have decent to good parts and i'm confident that CK will stand behind a product with their name on it. they make their money on torches, not machines, so I can't see getting much resistance from them for a replacement or parts. I appreciate that it uses a 'full foot' pedal design.

most importantly, I really like the control layout. just enough knobs and the auto fan feature means it is usually silent.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I wasn't actively looking but this thread had my mind refreshed on all things welder, and stumbled into ( what i consider) a ridiculously good FB deal on a yr old Hobart 210mvp with spool gun, cart, hobart auto dark helmet & tank for 5 bills tonight. :smokin:

I'd been passively keeping an eye out for a smokin deal on an upgrade from my workhorse Lincoln 135.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
well dang :smokin:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Stuck with 110 right now until I buy my own place, but really happy with my Eastwood 135.

Gas or flux, from .023-.035.

I have a DIY power tank, and use that for the gas. (Yes. 75/25 would be better, but not dropping 200+ on a tank right now.)

I’ve gone from 24ga to 1/8th with it, and will be doing 3/16 and 1/4 tomorrow, and we’ll see how it does then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stuck with 110 right now until I buy my own place, but really happy with my Eastwood 135.

Gas or flux, from .023-.035.

I have a DIY power tank, and use that for the gas. (Yes. 75/25 would be better, but not dropping 200+ on a tank right now.)

I’ve gone from 24ga to 1/8th with it, and will be doing 3/16 and 1/4 tomorrow, and we’ll see how it does then.

Keep an eye out on craigslist I have more than ahalf dozen tanks now and I haven't spent more then $75 on any of them.

·
Registered
805 Posts
where do you guys fill up co2? I used to swap my tank for 12 bucks at a local weed grow supply shop but they closed (or moved). Fuck airgas. Their price went stupid.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I am happy with my Eastwood MP250i was $1000
has an inductance setting and 100% duty cycle

can do scratch start tig and stick- I never use them, I have a Primeweld 225 for tig, it has way more features that I know how to use at this time

purely a weekend toy

Just don't buy the 175 mig with the combo spool gun for $500 ish...
JUNK!
On my 3rd one 2 blue 1 black under warranty!
Now on the second drive motor and 3rd control panel!

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
where do you guys fill up co2? I used to swap my tank for 12 bucks at a local weed grow supply shop but they closed (or moved). Fuck airgas. Their price went stupid.
I use Wisco but what is the point of asking such a vague question without telling where you are at

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used to weld professionally, first on-call for local companies armed with a gm 4500 and a Miller bobcat 250. And then later I welded for some food processing companies, mostly doing food grade welding on stainless pipe and such Using a dynasty.
Most of my welders were Blue.
I had a Miller bobcat 250, a Miller dynasty 210, a millermatic 252, a millermatic 210, an old Miller thunderbolt, a deltaweld, a hypertherm powermax, an old syncrowave 300, and a Lincoln buzzbox
Now that I no longer weld for my main source of income I've sold the welders I owned with the business.
I began experimenting with cheaper welders, I now have a Everlast PowerTIG 250EX (cost only $2000 including cooler)
I have a Lotos LTP5000D plasma cutter ($400)
And a Hobart 190 mig.. ($650)
I can honestly say that so far i have been happy with the everlast and the lotos (less so with the Hobart mig.
I may get myself another millermatic 252 to replace it. (they can be found used fairly cheap)
I think if you do some research into whatever welder you are planning on getting you can get a good budget welder to suit your needs.

·
Registered
'73 Scout
10,438 Posts
I've been running a millermatic 175 for like 14 years.... :laughing:

Still getting it done. Can't kill the frickin thing.

I still use a torch to cut with. :flipoff2:
Funny I killed 4 in about 3 yrs. Then again attempting to run them at 140a for 8 hr periods continuously (100% duty cycle is roughly 87a) in a "non-standard" configuration will do that. Switched to the XMT 300 (350 is the newer model) and no issues...

Just remember that a 100% duty cycle is ALWAY 50% of max deliverable current for any welder made. Buy based on current average need for the application. ;)

·
Registered
821 Posts
I went through all of those same questions when I added a TIG to compliment my Hobart 140.

I ended up going with the ck worldwide machine. picked up a "demo unit" from ebay, came with full warranty. yes, it wasn't as cheap as the AlphaTIG and other Chinese units. yes, it is a Chinese machine. yes, the razorweld unit comes from the same (probably) factory and is less money.

CK machine came with a CK superflex adjustable head, not expensive stuff, but an extra hundred bucks in value. CK has solid customer service, so while it is still a Chinese unit, china will make what you want and it seems to have decent to good parts and i'm confident that CK will stand behind a product with their name on it. they make their money on torches, not machines, so I can't see getting much resistance from them for a replacement or parts. I appreciate that it uses a 'full foot' pedal design.

most importantly, I really like the control layout. just enough knobs and the auto fan feature means it is usually silent.
So 2k for the machine? At that point isnt it about at the same price point as the miller? Or is it a better machine than the diversion. It looks like a sweet machine.

https://www.amazon.com/CK-Worldwide-MT200-AC-Welding-System/dp/B073DHQR39

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
So 2k for the machine? At that point isnt it about at the same price point as the miller? Or is it a better machine than the diversion. It looks like a sweet machine.

https://www.amazon.com/CK-Worldwide-MT200-AC-Welding-System/dp/B073DHQR39
https://www.arc-zone.com/ck-worldwide-welding-machine-mt200-ac-dc

there are a couple places that have it for ~$400 less than the amazon price. i got mine off an ebay seller :rasta:

personally, i like it better than the miller diversion 180. full size pedal, knobbies, higher rated duty cycle (miller diversion 180 is 160A @ 15%, CK is 160A @ 25%), CK will run 140A on 115v, Diversion 180 will run 125A on 115v, CK has a 5A start vs 10A for miller, CK has knob control for post-flow (fixed 1/2 sec preflo) miller has "auto control based on amps" for post flow.

personally, i prefer to run post flow for a couple seconds on AL and SS, but don't need it hardly at all for mild steel, so in my head having control saves me gas.

edit: other than those relatively minor-to-most-people things, they do the same stuff. if you find more 'issues' with the diversion 180, that is likely due to there being 1000x more of those sold (at least) in comparison. i'm glad i paid a few hundred bucks less and got features i like with the CK unit. Some people must like the digital single dial and small pedal of the miller with the auto-smart settings and such :confused:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Keep an eye out on craigslist I have more than ahalf dozen tanks now and I haven't spent more then $75 on any of them.

I’ve been searching every day for the last 3 months.

Nothing within reasonable driving distance of me.

If you’re close to NC, wanna sell me one or two?

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
I’ve been using an Italian made machine called a Clarke 180EN for welding. I bought it new 17 years ago and it still runs great. I wire up new whiz bang machines in plants and fab shops that make me want, but I don’t weld often enough to justify it.
I got in on a group buy with Dustball about 15 years ago and got a 40A Mitech plasma cutter that’s also fine for my use. Same story with wiring up new stuff, it still runs fine and consumables are dirt cheap on eBay.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts