Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 72 40 with an F and hysteer with the stock column and box. What is the cheapest, and easiest power steering conversion I can do? What parts do I need? Price? PiX?

Obviously not some 1/2a$$ conversion that is going to give me problems.

Keep in mind.. This is a DD cruiser SOA on 35s... cant be hydraulic.

Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
Id go gm saganaw.

Not the easyest but when your done youll never look back.

I used a gm tilt collom legnthend heep cheiroke shaft s10 3 bolt box mounted to a downey bracket. Total cost probably about $250

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I totally agree. But the easiest is probably a mini truck swap, same as factory FJ40 PS and somewhat bolt on. Depending on what year your rig is (yours isn't it) you will have to fab up some pump brackets. But since you have to fab, I'd do like golden arrow says and do it right with at least a saginaw box. I had minitruck PS on my 40 and it worked but wasn't "great." This was on a '75 2F, similar setup to yours...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'd say pony up for the GM Saginaw conversion. It's EASILY THE BEST mod I've ever done.
I did it realativly inexpensivly, but not cheaply.
I think after I figured it all out I paid $500. But I didn't have to hack in a steering column from another vehicle.

I got the saginaw gear box from E-bay. $30 shipped to my door.
I got the pump from pick 'n pull $40
Steering shaft 3/4" cold rolled stock $4 from the steel shop.
U-joints: $30 from napa for the upper one, $50 from 6 states for the lower one.
Plate mount and cross member brace $99 from DJ's Traction Systems.
Pump mount: Smog pump bracket, and a piece of 1" steel bar stock. About $2 from the steel supply shop.
Various nuts and bolts $20.
pitman arm, and custom drag link: $100
High pressure hose for CJ7 $23 from Checker.

You can spend more with going with a borgeson, or flaming river steering shaft, and using a fabricated PS Pump mount. Thsoe parts EASILY push the cost over $600. then figure in some moroso or flaming river u-joints, but those are also really expensive, and rather unnecessary.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
CaverInaCruiser said:
I'd say pony up for the GM Saginaw conversion. It's EASILY THE BEST mod I've ever done....
James, does yours have a slip joint in it? Or is it rigid mounted?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Since this is the next question out of your pie hole,
Used Box $50
Misc $25
Column bushing $15
Brg at FW $25
JT bracket $100
Used Pump $25
Hose $20
PS fluid $2
Approx 6 hrs tme

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
cruiseroutfit said:

James, does yours have a slip joint in it? Or is it rigid mounted?
It's Rigid.
I am planning on getting a slip shaft on it eventually. Those flaming river and borgeson shafts are spendy though. My truck steers well, and I am watching the PS box like a hawk to make sure it does punch the shaft through it. I did design the whole setup to slip a *little* bit if need be.

Oh, also it took about 4 hours, and a 6 pack of beer...

·
Registered
550 Posts
texican said:
Since this is the next question out of your pie hole,
Used Box $50
Misc $25
Column bushing $15
Brg at FW $25
JT bracket $100
Used Pump $25
Hose $20
PS fluid $2
Approx 6 hrs tme
Are you using the stock relay rod with metric tie rod end to the standard tapered pitmit arm? Or a standard to metric rod?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
goldenarrow said:
heep chairakee has a slip joint and good u joints and their all over the junk yards.
But it's a Jeep part... Grrr.. .

·
Registered
515 Posts
I used a steering box outta a 60 series Cruiser. The steering shaft is outta a mini truck and use the stock column. Works great, gets rid of the center arm and is still Toyoda(;) ) made. Placement of the box is the hardest part.....
Oh yeah, the pump and resivoir(sp?) are are mini truck too....

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 40 came with the GM conversion already done. BUT it had crappy rag joints at the box and end of the stock stearing colum shaft. I replaced the rag joints with Astro van u joint shafts. They were free for me and the steering is better now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts