Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on ebay and found this truck for sale and this is the rear setup it looks to me like it really would not work worth a shit?????

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
it's a parrallel 4 link w/ a balanced panhard. not good for wheelin but fine for drivin. maybe it's a mud truck or just random tall truck action?

·
Registered
242 Posts
That is NOT a Watts linkage. They may have tried to do one but failed horribly in every manner possible if a Watts was their intention.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
That don't make an ass bit of sense.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The whole purpose of a Watts link is to provide near verticle up and down movement of an axle with minimal side to side movement. I ask you this does that look like any ammount of appreciable verticle travel is possible. I know that we aren't dealing with race cars or muscle cars here but all of the Watts links that I have seen have one link pointing slightly up and one pointing slightly down to achieve the desired and intended effects. That is why I think this is a shitty execution of a very good suspension design. Also if it is a Watts link the distance between the center pivot ( I dont see one in the pictures) and where the control arms pivot from is far too short of a distance to achieve the desired and intended effects of a properly set up Watts link. I believe that the person that built this had at best the basest idea of what they were doing. They probably didn't look into any of the theory of why people do them the way they do them, and probably thought "i's gunna do it this a way an its gunna be cooler cause it be differnt than the ones i seent on the google image serch.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
This is a pretty cool youtube vid on a watts link suspension.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J4xkHuP7QY

It's turned 90 degrees from the one in the truck but it gives you an idea of how it locates the axle from side to side and still allows up/down movement.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
nice videos for explanation! i take it these arent commonly used in rock crawling because of the inherently low roll center?

·
ZUK Herder
4,496 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts